PCB Design... Schematic and layout or Just Layout

Started by bloxstompboxes, October 26, 2016, 10:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloxstompboxes

This thread is being started due to the other current thread about what free pcb software do we use. Some software offer the ability to draw both the schematic and the PCB layout. How many of you draw the schematic with your choice pcb software, and then switch over the board layout portion and move the components put there for you and route the traces? This is as opposed to just going straight to the board layout and drawing up the board by placing components and traces as you go. I have been doing the latter since I was unfamiliar with all the parts for the layouts and it was too much trouble for me to pick them and draw the schematic at the same time. Lazy, I know. I am now working on my first project to draw the schematic out first and then the layout. Maybe I should have done this some 30 layouts ago.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

karbomusic

Generally, 90% of mine are both since they are electrically connected which helps reduces errors in my builds. IOW if the schematic is correct, the PCB is also correct assuming it passes the DRC check. Doesn't mean I wouldn't do a one-off with a very low part count as layout only, but it's nice to have a backing schematic for most stuff YMMV.

bloxstompboxes

Quote from: karbomusic on October 26, 2016, 11:10:52 PM
Generally, 90% of mine are both since they are electrically connected which helps reduces errors in my builds. IOW if the schematic is correct, the PCB is also correct assuming it passes the DRC check. Doesn't mean I wouldn't do a one-off with a very low part count as layout only, but it's nice to have a backing schematic for most stuff YMMV.

Exactly the reason why I am starting to try and do both. Unfortunately, it won't help if you leave out a part on the schematic, but I feel like they are easier to follow anyway, of course. It would be easier to check a schematic for everything and then do the layout. DRC check should catch anything you have forgotten then on the layout. However, I have gotten so used to just doing the layout. The first time I tried this long ago, it all looked so cluttered when all the parts and wires were just there. I am hoping it will be easier now.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

deadastronaut

i like the eagle cad  ''eye'' button,

you click on a part in the schematic, go to the board and

that part is highlighted...very handy.

i breadboard till happy (which can take months sometimes :icon_rolleyes:)

, draw the schematic, then do the board...

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

FiveseveN

Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?