Is there a standard for the physical layout of parts

Started by gep, October 27, 2016, 08:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gep

For the popular Hammond 1590B enclosure, is there a defacto "standard" for where parts are placed, or anything close to a standard?

I am asking because manufacturers put their input and output jacks in the same place on most of their units of the same size so that a male-to-male adapter can connect the output of one unit to the input of another.

greaser_au

I reckon most pedals have their input on the right, and output on the left, simply because the majority of guitar players are right handed, and cables don't much like to be trodden on...

Should you decide not do this with your DIY pedals, please provide your address so I can bill you for lefty pedal concept licensing fees    :icon_lol:

david

gep

Quote from: greaser_au on October 27, 2016, 08:29:12 AM
I reckon most pedals have their input on the right, and output on the left, simply because the majority of guitar players are right handed, and cables don't much like to be trodden on...

Well, yes, I was certainly wanting to adhere to that standard, but what I am interested in are the dimensions, like if someone has a drawing.

bloxstompboxes

Try the info in this link and google "pedal vector pack". Should be able to find it pretty easily. You can then measure your enclosures, even those with the same names might have different measurements when bought from different vendors. Then you can make your own templates that will be sure to fit everything in it properly.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

davent

The sides of die cast enclosures (Hammonds etc.)are slanted so a male to male adapter, unless it accounts for the particular slope of the enclosure, is not going to work, the enclosures can't sit flat.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

gep

Quote from: davent on October 27, 2016, 02:04:02 PM
The sides of die cast enclosures (Hammonds etc.)are slanted so a male to male adapter, unless it accounts for the particular slope of the enclosure, is not going to work, the enclosures can't sit flat. dave

I should have known that! I got a couple of Hammond diecast enclosures out of storage and re-aquainted myself with them. So I guess those male-to-male adapters are not so universal.

And I'm beginning to think that there might not be too much in the way of defacto layouts.

I did some searching, and found that what I should have been searching for is "stompbox drilling templates". I found a number of them.

davent

Quote from: gep on October 27, 2016, 04:24:47 PM
Quote from: davent on October 27, 2016, 02:04:02 PM
The sides of die cast enclosures (Hammonds etc.)are slanted so a male to male adapter, unless it accounts for the particular slope of the enclosure, is not going to work, the enclosures can't sit flat. dave

I should have known that! I got a couple of Hammond diecast enclosures out of storage and re-aquainted myself with them. So I guess those male-to-male adapters are not so universal.

I needed someone to point that out to me too years ago, had never occurred to me.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg