stripping paint from a hammond enclosure

Started by Fndr8875, October 30, 2016, 03:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fndr8875

ok so i got another hammond 1590b last week, was an impulse thing just was on amazon and said hmm never seen a purple one so i grabbed it. couple days later when i got it it looked different than image on amazon. Its like a mix of pink and purple, not what i expected. I contacted seller and it would have been a hastle to return it and cost half of what i paid, so i just said screw it ill either just use it or strip it. I know tons of ppl have stripped bare enclosures they painted themselves, but has any one stripped a prepainted hammond powdercoated enclosure. I bought some of this at home depot a while back

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/488141411113042426?lsf=seller:8740,store:6302485185865260364&prds=oid:5914510965941853133&q=paint+stripping+spray&hl=en&ei=-EsWWIb3AoXCmwGgnKyQCg&lsft=cm_mmc:Shopping-_-LIAs-_-D24-_-100135467&lsft=gclid:CjwKEAjwtNbABRCsqO7J0_uJxWYSJAAiVo5LvwCTpbznDEtz80qAnfmtK07lG1oLYMhv_CaHm1dzgxoCxpHw_wcB

it took longer than claimed 15 min, but i had primed, spray painted with enamel i think, and used to much clear coat, but it did eventually strip all the gunk off. Idk i guess colors are engrained in me from effects manufactors, if this were gonna be a phaser, or flanger or something it wouldnt bother me, but for a high gain pedal it just doesnt sit right. here is a pic of enclosure and something about lighting makes it look darker as it did in photo when i purchased it.

rutabaga bob

I got one of the 'seconds' from Small Bear once.  I tried everything I could think of to try and get the coating off.  I ended up using a wire-brush wheel on a bench grinder, then sanding to get the grooves out.  My best advice, though, is to use an abrasive parts-blaster - an enclosure where abrasive particles are powered by compressed air to chip away at paint, rust, etc..  Some company in your area may have one (a metal fab shop that does powder coating) and you might be able to talk them into stripping your part for a couple of bucks.
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

roseblood11

Remember all those Hair Metal bands from the 80s? High Gain can be VERY pink...

GibsonGM

Why remove?  Why not medium-grit sand, maybe 220 to 400 grit, and then prime, and paint?  It doesn't HAVE to all be taken off.....as long as it is etched, the primer will take.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Fndr8875

i think ill just save it for phaser build im planning on doing soon. I really like suble phasing, so im either gonna get madbeans smoothie or just etch a mxr phase 45. Im kinda work out with the etching, had a scotch tl92 or t0l92 the one you can get at walmart, it was like 17 bucks, but it just wont turn on. I got it taken apart but i think the heating element went out, and im not messing with that when i can get a replacement for 17 bucks. but the ferric acid and the drilling, no solder resist, etc... Think i just ran it to much, i ran a ton of boards through it. Also i use amazon prime so you can get hammond 1590b colors for like 10 bucks and have it in 2 days, i got a 1590bb bare for 12 bucks. Itd prob cost more to have some one grind it down than to just get another one. Was mainly just curious about the finish. I thought powdercoating was more durable. I have a red one that has gotten pretty scraped up from not alot of abuse. Guess i need to clear coat it right after i drill it. Prob gonna go with bare ones from now on cus i wanna start doing some etching and graphic design to them.  Walrus audio and Earthquaker devices are amazing. there demos sound really good but i bet alot of ppl end up buying them bc they look so sexy to. Im building a hummingbird trem from earthquaker devices soon as my 2n2646 gets here tommorow, might just say @#$% it and use this enclosure for it. Some clear mxr knobs and a clear led, and a cool waterslide decal, think that would look pretty cool. oh welll thanks for replys guys, i just cant justify spending like 20 bucks or something and waiting 2 weeks for something from mammoth, i dont like 5 mm leds either. looks like thats all you can get in there templates.

Fndr8875

what do you mean as long as its etched? I want it to be purple just a darker purple. Also what kind of paint do i use, its not enamel is it?

Fndr8875

ah the 80s, i was born in 81 so those neon colors , escpecially hot pink are burned into my memory. when i got into listening to music hair bands were dying off and alternative/grunge was coming in. I used to love all those bands, and still do like them just heard them soooo much they kinda bore me now. Found myself listening to some cheap trick and Skid Rowe the other day, haha, how things change.

thermionix

Quote from: roseblood11 on October 30, 2016, 04:57:16 PM

Ahh, hot pink and lime green, how 80's can you get!

lapsteelman

Quote from: roseblood11 on October 30, 2016, 04:57:16 PM

When I was 10 (1985) my dream of dreams was to own a hot pink GT Pro Performer freestyle bike.... 

Fndr8875

So just decided to use the enclosure as is, went ahead and drilled and filled it. Just need to etch board and solder a couple wires. From the demos ive seen the hummingbird sounds pretty sweet.

prob will wait til friday cus my soldering station will be here. Its just a Yihua 936, i know there are some mixed reviews, but for the average Diy guy, the reviews on youtube are pretty positive. And i paid 20 bucks for it with shipping. Wish i had the money to get a Hakko but the $100 difference is a ton of parts, enclsoure, knobs. Ill prob have built everything a could possilby want with that 100 bucks.

chuckd666

Yeah that colour rules, I wouldn't change it  8)

Fndr8875

Thanks man, once i got hardware in i really like it to. Now if i can figure out a cool decal for it. Ive never done one before. I have sheet of inkjet waterslide from small bear. Id like to cut it to size and print it tat way, but like i said no exp with it. Sure theres plenty of info on here so im gonna try to design something first, which will be the hardest part. have a tad bit experience with illustrator but none as far as makng a graphic, and having it aligned with dilled holes. I used a drilling template and have the vector pack so hopefully i can import the 1590 drilling template in with the 1590 size and then drop in artwork and get it all aligned somehow. I read laserjet decals are better so gonna do some research and decide. My smallbear order was supposed to be here today but it didnt come, says tommorow. but i did get some IC sockets and bunch of electrolytics. Triple wreck will be my next build so anyway, kinda scary how addicting this hobby is.

slashandburn

Quote from: Fndr8875 on October 30, 2016, 05:52:39 PM
I want it to be purple just a darker purple. Also what kind of paint do i use, its not enamel is it?
I spent a long time looking for the right purple automotive spray for a guitar project ages ago. Probably no use to you at this stage, but if you need a more purple purple (Purpler?) in the future you should take a look at Hycote's Rainbow Blue acrylic.