Aurora Dyna Comp - no sound

Started by banjerpickin, November 01, 2016, 11:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kipper4

While the switch is off. Check the effect works or Not before you rewire.
Did it work before you boxed it?
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Kipper4

It's much easier to test a populated circuit out of the box. With this in mind I'm not familiar with you work flow and practices, but in future. Would always test circuits before boxing. It helps narrow down the amount of possible glitches that might occur.
One could use a couple of 1/4 jacks with alligator clips to attach to in and outputs.
And a battery snap with alligator clips for power supply.

Have you got an audio probe btw?
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

banjerpickin

Quote from: Kipper4 on November 29, 2016, 05:31:40 PM
It's much easier to test a populated circuit out of the box. With this in mind I'm not familiar with you work flow and practices, but in future. Would always test circuits before boxing. It helps narrow down the amount of possible glitches that might occur.
One could use a couple of 1/4 jacks with alligator clips to attach to in and outputs.
And a battery snap with alligator clips for power supply.

Have you got an audio probe btw?

Kipper, thank you again for all of your help and guidance.  Yes, I have a nice Beavis Board inspired testing platform.  No, I did not use it this time.  I usually only use it for vero or perf board builds, just to help me visualize the circuit.  With a printed PCB, I've always just plugged away and had success.  Lesson learned.

I do not have an audio probe but will order one on Amazon (or make my own according to http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/debug.html) if that is the next step.

I am not ready to admit defeat yet, unless the forum decides that is the best use of my time.  I'd really like to figure out where this went wrong, and I appreciate y'alls support on my journey. 

Quote from: tl-ww-ext on November 29, 2016, 01:38:04 PM
I realize you have done work on this since those pics from your earlier post...  I noticed the jumper on your stompswitch from lug 1 to lug 9 is a bare wire (maybe a snipped lead?) and comes very close to lug 5 (ground).  You're absolutely sure that wire doesn't make contact with lug 5, right?  I noticed you have a fair amount of exposed wire on those stompswitch connections which lend themselves to shorting on something else.

I realize this is a long shot, best of luck.

T

I went and tried a new switch with all shielded wire and shortened leads to no avail.  The LED, like it was before, comes on when the circuit is switched on, and I can hear white noise/hiss when I crank the sustain and level knobs.  When switched off the signal passes through unhindered.  So the switch is doing it's job, and I tripe quadruple checked I have wires running to the right places.  No dice!
Almost always testing Cunningham's law.

duck_arse

banjer - yer Q1 collector is too high, base is too low, and emitter is too high. I'd say your problem was around there somewhere. put some signal in and monitor with your audio probe at the emitter. any signal? you might also try lifting the transistor end of C5 (or pull the socketed transistor, and use the E socket pin) and injecting signal there, see if it comes out the other end.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

banjerpickin

Quote from: duck_arse on November 30, 2016, 08:55:06 AM
banjer - yer Q1 collector is too high, base is too low, and emitter is too high. I'd say your problem was around there somewhere. put some signal in and monitor with your audio probe at the emitter. any signal? you might also try lifting the transistor end of C5 (or pull the socketed transistor, and use the E socket pin) and injecting signal there, see if it comes out the other end.

Sounds like a plan.  May not get to it until this weekend now, we will have to see.  Thanks everyone!

banjerpickin

OK WE ARE MAKING HEADWAY.  The audio probe was the way to go.  I got my computer out, found a 3.5mm to 1/4" cable and started Spotify, sending a steady signal of music to the pedal.  I soldered a .47 uF cap to the tip of one of those 1/4" to 3.5mm headphone jack adapters, a grounding clip to the sleeve, and then plugged that into a headphone amp and started listening with my comfy studio headphones.  Felt pretty smart about that, at least!  I pulled up the schematic and started following it.

By C2 I'd found the problem.  The signal is supposed to pass through it, but there's nothing on the other side.  Either it's bad or I burned it up when soldering.  Unfortunately I don't have a cap even remotely close in value so I have to order a replacement.  But I'm feeling good and so glad I stuck with this!!!  I'll update everyone soon.

banjerpickin

HOLY SHNIKEYS I FINALLY GOT IT WORKING.  I installed the correct cap, but there was still no signal getting through to the end.  I kept following the schematic with my probe and found a single cold solder joint I created when I pulled out the trim pot so I could get access to that wrong cap.  I reflowed it, timidly placed the probe on the out jack...and my god Brent Cobb's new record never sounded so beautiful to my ears (even though it was in mono). 

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR THE HELP.  Can't say it enough.  What an awesome community!  And if you're a still a beginner like me...go build an audio probe!  It worked great!

As for the actual pedal, sounds pretty good, close to the modern dyna comp I had at one time but a bit smoother and less "plunk" when the attack is turned all the way up.  If this is what the original/vintage ones sound like, I can see why people like them.  Pretty noisy with single coils though, especially when you set sustain over half.  Since I have a second board and parts laying around, I'll build a Ross variant this time and compare the two.  Would also like to toss in a blend knob...we'll see!