help with nobels od-1 clone

Started by Ang3lus, November 09, 2016, 05:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ang3lus

Hey all,

I bought an Andromeda project board from Aion (GREAT quality board).

I can't get no output with the effect on, bypass works

I wrote down the voltages to see if maybe anyone sees something odd about the voltages ?

IC1: (pins 1-8, JRC 4558d)

4.22v
4.22v
4.09v
0v
8.52v
4.25v
4.11v
4.10v

IC2: (Pins 1-8, JRC 4558d)

4.22v
4.22v
3.75v
0v
8.75v
4.35v
4.36v
4.08v

Transistor 1: (2n5457)

D 0.61v
G 1V
S 8.81v

Transistor 2: (2n5088)

D 3.47v
G 3.78v
S 8.80v

checked orientation of caps/diodes/transistors/IC, all seem fine, stumped by this.

here is the documentation

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k6hsz691at36a5c/aion-andromeda-nobels-odr1-overdrive-documentation.pdf?dl=0

will appericiate any help/ideas on how to proceed.

Sincerley

bloxstompboxes

Are you sure you are measuring your voltages right? The pins are numbered in an anticlockwise fashion. Your 8th pin should be close to 9V. Not your fifth pin. Find the dot or notch that marks pin 1 of your ICs, that is pin 1.

Thanks for posting voltages and documentation though. It will get you responses faster!

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

PRR

Welcome.

> 2n5088 D G S

'5088 is a BJT and its legs are named B C E (or C B E or something).

Assuming some confusion on both chip and transistor pin-out, your voltages are not "wrong!" You have 8V, 0V, and 4V at appropriate points. You have 3.78V at a pin on Q2, which I assume comes from 4.35V through a 150K resistor. The voltage drops implies your meter is 0.995Meg Ohms, and 1 Meg is a very common nominal meter loading.

Next step is signal tracing/probing. Someone will have a picture of a signal tracer (adapter for guitar amp). Feed signal in. Does it even get to R1/Q1? Does it get to the far end of C1 R4? C6? R9? R11? Does it get to the far side of C21, but not to the switch and output jack?

Note that the switch they show, with 3x3 pins, can be placed two ways, 90 degree different. Do your tabs align as shown? Wide side across the width of the pedal.
  • SUPPORTER

Ang3lus

I will build a signal tracer, about time i do that, been guess-working for a long time now and it's just a waste of time.

I jerry rigged a mp3 player as an input and "injected" the signal into the circuit, seems it stops with lug number 2 of the spectrum pot, but i do get a signal in the middle lug of the 2n3904 transistor.

when i get a signal i mean i get the song playing through the speakers.

lug #1 of both ics also presents a signal.

I will do some further investigating once i build the signal tracer and trace it from the input.

thanks for all your suggestions guys, it made me do some research into troubleshotting and once again i've learned alot.

:icon_lol:

PRR

> lug #1 of both ics also presents a signal.

Pin 1 of IC1a _IS_ the output. After that is only C21, any switching, and the jack.

> I can't get no output with the effect on

Looks like you almost there.

Switching is always confounding. Have you verified switch orientation?
  • SUPPORTER

ElectricDruid

Quote from: PRR on November 11, 2016, 03:19:05 PM
Switching is always confounding. Have you verified switch orientation?

Oh god, isn't it?! How many times has that bitten me in the backside?! Even when I double-checked my triple-checking! It's like the more you look the worse it gets. I always buzz it through with a multimeter before I put solder to it these days, just to be sure. Once bitten, twice shy.

T.

Ang3lus

ended up building an audio probe and a signal generator (mp3 player :) .

was a bad gain pot, lug 2 was shorting to ground for whatever reason (was new out of the box), i'm done with china crap, back to bourns and cts i go.

thanks everyone for their suggestions.