How do you assemble your pcbs?

Started by natron_mn, November 11, 2016, 03:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

natron_mn

I've been ramping up my pedal building lately (still using others' pcbs as I figure out how the circuits work), and I've starting wondering if I could assemble my boards more efficiently.

So what do you folks do? Do you populate all of the resistors, solder them in and trim the leads. Then the caps, solder and trim. Then diodes, trannies, whatever else, in the same fashion? Or do you populate all components, solder and then trim leads?

I found when I do the latter, it takes quite a while. The reason is, I populate the board and then bend the leads so when I flip over the board everything stays in. However, with all of the leads intersecting, it makes it difficult to see the rings to solder, etc, etc.

Sorry, I feel like I could word this better. Long story short... how do you do it?!

stallik

Place lowest components first as you've been doing. Do the whole board and cover with soft foam followed by stiff board. Hold the whole sandwich together with some pressure ( bulldog clips work well) turn over, solder and trim.

Old fashioned method but works well. Any really big components should be done separately as they can prevent the tiny resistors being held in place by the foam.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

slashandburn

Lowest profile components first, for me anyway.  Resistors, sockets, diodes etc.  Then caps, trimmers et al.  Wires last.

Whatever suits you best, though. I got into doing it this was as it allowed me to populate the board in stages, and use masking tape to hold the components in place as i soldered them.

natron_mn

Okay, good to know I was on the right track. I like to keep the components in with tape, but I always had trouble taping down caps.

Good idea with the foam and brace board sandwich tactic - thank you!

GGBB

I saw somebody post about this a while back so I've been doing it this way - I have a ball of blu-tack that I push the component side of the board onto after populating (by height order). Works great - but don't push too hard as the putty can melt to the leads if it touches them (mainly axial components) which is just a nuisance to get off, not a major concern.
  • SUPPORTER

ElectricDruid

Yep, again, I assemble by height order. Usually signal diodes first, if there are any, followed by resistors, IC sockets, transistors, voltage regulators (same package, mostly), then caps from small to large. I use sticky tape if required, but mostly do a few similar components at a time so don't need it.

Tom

bluebunny

I do it one component at a time, in height order. Can't cope with a sea of upturned component leads (more than two!) waiting to be soldered.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

deadastronaut

i do 4 or so resistors at a time,

blue tack for me too...especially with fiddly sockets..short lead caps etc..

for onboard switches i tack a very tiny bit of solder on one end till its straight

then fully solder the other end...works nicely, its a pain trying to heat and straighten

if all 3 pads are soldered...been there.... ::)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

ShOrEbReAk

I am only new but I just did it smallest to highest as it seem more logical. At least I got that part right

GGBB I have seen that trick as well from a forum member Paul who runs the DIY GUITAR PEDALS videos on YouTube.

Each to their own I guess
I build cause I'm to pov to buy one! Plus electrocution is a great learning tool

J0K3RX

I solder all of the highest components in first, because I like a challenge...  :P  Speaking of challenges, have any of you ever tried to solder with your feet? :-[ I am getting a little better but I keep sitting on the cord so, when I go to solder it pulls the iron heat element down between my toes :o And my wife is getting pissed about the burns in the carpet :icon_cry:

This guy is good!  :)
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!