How to Properly Stuff a 1590BB

Started by bloxstompboxes, November 11, 2016, 04:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloxstompboxes

My current big project. Stuffing a 1590BB with a Neutron. Redrew the PCB layout to shave off a few millimeters in width. Hope I didn't make a mistake. Dry fit looks ok. Will run this off a wall-wart with the PCB's built in charge pump. Think I might wire this all up first in the box to keep it tidy. Then I'll figure out a color and enclosure decor. Thank God for that Vector pack or I never would have drilled this box right. It's a tight squeeze.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

davent

With the symmetrical layout you've done, to make life easier i'd mount the pots,  toggles and rotary on top of the enclosure to do the wiring to the pcb. Gives you unobstructed access to all the solder lugs, makes it easier to make it neat.

Attach the wires for the stomp and  jacks to the pcb before you install it all back inside and it's easy to hook up the board to the last easy-to-get-to off-board parts.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

bloxstompboxes

Damn davent. That's an excellent idea. I have always admired your wiring and I remember how you do yours on a piece of thin board first, then install in the enclosure.  Think I'll try it that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

EBK

Although you already have the rotary switch in your possession, I'd highly recommend a DPDT ON-ON-ON toggle instead.  It can easy be wired as a SP3T, and it saves a ton of space.  Also, there is no reason you cannot end mount your jacks on that pedal.  Since the BB is already so wide, I would try to avoid making it take up more side-to-side footprint than necessary.  I have a mutron-iii I'm a 1590BB that I can take some pics of if you want to see it.  By the way, if you really want a small mu-tron, madbeans has a PCB design that fits in a 1590B!
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

deadastronaut

great advice from dave...always yields a nice neat result..

i use a quickie cardboard template now..makes wiring easier/neater.. 8) 8) 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

bloxstompboxes

Quote from: EBK on November 12, 2016, 06:55:23 AMSince the BB is already so wide, I would try to avoid making it take up more side-to-side footprint than necessary.  I have a mutron-iii I'm a 1590BB that I can take some pics of if you want to see it.  By the way, if you really want a small mu-tron, madbeans has a PCB design that fits in a 1590B!

Not too worried about the width. I only play at home so I'm not trying to make the smallest and easiest to carry around gear. But I would like to see it!. The Naughty Fish, lol. That's crazy!

ShOrEbReAk

Hey

Nice work! I have what may be a stupid question to some, what the heck is that middle pot that looks like a tube bottom? What does it do?

Cheer
Troy
I build cause I'm to pov to buy one! Plus electrocution is a great learning tool

chuckd666

EBK

Quote from: bloxstompboxes on November 12, 2016, 11:36:43 AM
Quote from: EBK on November 12, 2016, 06:55:23 AMSince the BB is already so wide, I would try to avoid making it take up more side-to-side footprint than necessary.  I have a mutron-iii I'm a 1590BB that I can take some pics of if you want to see it.  By the way, if you really want a small mu-tron, madbeans has a PCB design that fits in a 1590B!

Not too worried about the width. I only play at home so I'm not trying to make the smallest and easiest to carry around gear. But I would like to see it!. The Naughty Fish, lol. That's crazy!

Here are a couple quick pics of mine.  It looked much better before I lent it to someone who completely disrespected it.  :icon_neutral:

• SUPPORTER

bloxstompboxes

Quote from: EBK on November 13, 2016, 08:07:53 PM
Quote from: bloxstompboxes on November 12, 2016, 11:36:43 AM

Here are a couple quick pics of mine.  It looked much better before I lent it to someone who completely disrespected it.  :icon_neutral:

Good work there. Is that the double thick 1590bb from small bear. I don't see how you could fit top mounted Jack's atop pots in a regular 1590bb.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

EBK

QuoteIs that the double thick 1590bb from small bear. I don't see how you could fit top mounted Jack's atop pots in a regular 1590bb.
Regular Hammond 1590bb.  Had to file the lid a bit for the input jack over the dual gang pot:

• SUPPORTER

Renegadrian

anal-log man king of tone - build that and then report... :-D
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

EBK

Quote from: Renegadrian on November 14, 2016, 09:39:04 AM
anal-log man king of tone - build that and then report... :-D
Can I report back on this one instead?  Also a 1590bb.  Will take awhile....  :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER

bloxstompboxes

EBK

Perhaps this would be more appropriate in the Pictures board, but I think I at least implicitly promised to report back on this here, so here are some in-progress photos of my Clippy pedal. Note that the toggle by the stomp switch is a short bat type, so it doesn't get in the way.

The inside is a godawful rats nest right now because I'm still tweaking the design, but it is fully functional except for the missing LED circuitry.

There are 3 separate boards:

BTW, I do ask that you mercifully ignore my JB Weld repairs by the jacks.  I was so confident in my shiny new automatic center punch that I neglected to double check my math/measurements before drilling those. :icon_redface:

• SUPPORTER

stringsthings

Quote from: bloxstompboxes on November 11, 2016, 04:47:36 PM
My current big project. Stuffing a 1590BB with a Neutron. Redrew the PCB layout to shave off a few millimeters in width. Hope I didn't make a mistake. Dry fit looks ok. Will run this off a wall-wart with the PCB's built in charge pump. Think I might wire this all up first in the box to keep it tidy. Then I'll figure out a color and enclosure decor. Thank God for that Vector pack or I never would have drilled this box right. It's a tight squeeze.

That looks awesome.  Might have to build this one up.