Pedals Humming/Squealing after mods

Started by Stratobastard86, November 12, 2016, 07:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stratobastard86

Hi guys.

I have a Boss DS-1 and Proco Rat 2 that I have tried to modify slightly but I've run into problems with them both. Basically I replaced the clipping diodes in both with 3mm red LED's and now the DS-1 hums loudly with the distortion knob past 9 o'clock and the Rat squeals with the gain knob past half way. I've removed the LED's in the DS-1 and left it without diodes but the humming is still there. Does anyone know what might have gone wrong or how to fix it? I've done this to other pedals with no problems so I'm assuming it's an issue with my crappy soldering.

Thanks

GibsonGM

Sounds like a ground is missing, or a 'solder bridge' has occurred by bad soldering ;)   So use a magnifying glass to inspect your work.

Could be a part touching another part, too (like the tabs of a pot making contact with the PCB and grounding something out).
Could be that things on the board like pots and jacks have come LOOSE when you were handling it - check those things!!

A good way is to hook it all up outside the box and prod things a bit with the eraser end of a pencil.  Careful you don't cause more damage, tho!

Welcome to the forum, Strato - you'll get it, just be patient! 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Stratobastard86

Thanks GibsonGM. I'll look for solder bridges before anything else. I also have a Metal Zone which I tweaked which works in bypass mode but not when engaged. My soldering is likely the problem there too.

GibsonGM

Yes...it's frustrating, but that's usually the problem!  Or you made something loose, and so on.  I forgotten ground, if there is one that goes offboard...

After that, you have to go into the Debugging thing, which is located on the first page of the Forum as a sticky.  You answer the quesitons on it, and we see if we can help.

A good once over (well, 50 times over, ha ha) with a mag. glass and strong light is always a good 1st idea, tho!  And making sure the battery is in  :)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Stratobastard86

Well I opened up the DS-1 tonight and cleaned up the soldering. I also went back and re-soldered a few bits that were looking untidy and now it's working like a charm. I'll have a look at the Rat and Metal Zone tomorrow. Thanks for your help! :-)

GibsonGM

Any time bud, I am happy it got resolved so fast!   A lot of times we just need someone to push us to go do it, ha ha.

Do you have a DMM yet? (digital multi meter).      You'll want one, and to make an audio probe...
  • SUPPORTER

Stratobastard86

Nope I haven't got a DMM yet. I'm pretty new to pedal modding. I had a look at the Metal Zone tonight. Fixed my crappy soldering, replaced the clippers with LED's, replaced one of the caps and removed 2 more. Has a great hard rock sound now which I'm pretty happy about. I might replace one of the LED clippers with a MOSFET to see how it affects things.