Silicon Fuzz Face: Simulating guitar tone pot response?

Started by Snufkinoob, November 15, 2016, 01:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snufkinoob

I really like the sound of a Si FF when I roll down the tone on my guitar, which gives it a nice, counter-intuitive boost to the high end of the fuzz, and was thinking of incorporating a toggle or pot on my Si fuzzfaces to do the same thing. I think the Skreddy BC109 is one of the only FF's that has something like this, but I can't find a schematic, and after a brief bit of tinkering around I have no idea how to do it.  :icon_confused:

Any ideas on how to achieve this?

a2music

The tone control on your guitar is just a simple low pass filter. You could add one before the input of the fuzz. Typically the circuit is a 500k pot and a single capacitor though there are many choices. You might google "guitar tone control" then experiment with a few. Sounds like a worthwhile project!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thermionix

Yep, it's super simple if you're going to plugging the guitar straight in to the fuzz, you can just have your tone control in the fuzz's box instead of the guitar and do the same thing.  If you want the sound of the tone control all the way down, it's just a cap run straight to ground, the pot becomes irrelevant.

GibsonGM

Quote from: thermionix on November 15, 2016, 04:03:40 PM
Yep, it's super simple if you're going to plugging the guitar straight in to the fuzz, you can just have your tone control in the fuzz's box instead of the guitar and do the same thing.  If you want the sound of the tone control all the way down, it's just a cap run straight to ground, the pot becomes irrelevant.

Yes - a .02uF cap from output to ground will do the same thing as (Les Paul) guitar tone control.....
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

blackieNYC

There is a pickup simulator at AMZ that is fantastic.  I tried rc filters and didn't like the result.  This uses a coil. There's a peak and a steep rolloff required to fake a pickup. I must say, though, that I did this to help bring out the octave and some sustain in a Scrambler. (Boost, pickup sim with tone, scrambler. Works very well). In an FF, would this detail be significant or not?  I can't say. The scrambler objective here is a little more demanding perhaps. 
This pickup sim is simple, cheap, and passive, and will allow you to put a big boost before a FF (as above) and crush the FF with gain. And other pickup sensitive pedals.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

Snufkinoob

Quote from: thermionix on November 15, 2016, 04:03:40 PM
If you want the sound of the tone control all the way down, it's just a cap run straight to ground, the pot becomes irrelevant.

Quote from: a2music on November 15, 2016, 01:38:34 PM
The tone control on your guitar is just a simple low pass filter. You could add one before the input of the fuzz. Typically the circuit is a 500k pot and a single capacitor though there are many choices. You might google "guitar tone control" then experiment with a few. Sounds like a worthwhile project!

Thanks for the replies.  I tried toggling a resistor and cap at the input but I must have just had them wired up incorrectly.  :icon_rolleyes: Will give it another try.