Hello all! My first project: DS-1

Started by Markasaurus rex, November 16, 2016, 01:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markasaurus rex

I'm new to the site and to electronic tinkering in general and I'm looking for some advice.

I picked up a non-functioning DS-1 for $10. Spent $0.17 and fixed it with a new pcb mount ac power outlet. So I'm encouraged!

Now I'd like to do some modding. I've been reading a lot about DS-1 mods and what I'd like to do is kind of a dual mod. I'd like to replace d4 and d5 with LEDs AND mosfets. And I'd like to be able to switch between them. Flip the switch one way for LEDs and the other for the mosfets. With the way d4 and d5 are run (in parallel?) I'm not exactly sure how to wire this all up to function the way I'm wanting it to.  I have an idea and I'll try to draw it up and post it tomorrow to get some feedback. Thanks for the help!

EBK

Welcome!
A diode switch is not too hard.  You would only need a SPDT switch.  All 4 diodes (considering a MOSFET to be a diode for this explanation) will essentially be in parallel, connected at only one end to your PCB.  The switch selects which diode pair goes to the other spot on the PCB.  I guess a picture would show this a lot better..... Don't worry, someone else (this community is awesome!) will jump in with a drawing in 5... 4... 3... 2...
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Markasaurus rex

Antonis! That was fast! Thank you! I went to bed and poof! The work was done! I didn't even have time to draw it up. It was like a wishing well...that WORKED! LOL.   

My only question now would be, do I just leave either d4 or d5 blank? And just run this parallel switch setup across the other right?

Markasaurus rex

Oh! And EBK! I somehow missed your reply.  Thank you!

EBK

Quote from: Markasaurus rex on November 16, 2016, 08:57:27 AM
Oh! And EBK! I somehow missed your reply.  Thank you!

Happy to help!
QuoteMy only question now would be, do I just leave either d4 or d5 blank? And just run this parallel switch setup across the other right?
Remove both existing diodes from the board.  Sub this for either d4 or d5.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Markasaurus rex

Thanks a ton you guys! Your the bestest!

Markasaurus rex

Did a few "before" recordings for posterity. Now I've got most of my parts so I'm going to start. Here's everything that I plan. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

-D4 and D5 taken out for the switchable option between LEDs or mosfets
-C12 replaced with a 0.022uf polyester met cap
-R16 replaced with a 10k pot

I'll post some pics as I go (if I can figure out how to do that)