Next step trying Vero Board

Started by ShOrEbReAk, November 16, 2016, 06:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShOrEbReAk

OK

other than the beginners fuzz tutorial on here what would be the next or first circuit to try for a first attempt? The reason I ask is i already have a fuzz (7min) I have almost finished from DIY Guitar pedals.

Vero seems to be the purist way of doing things around here and I want to try it. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thinking a 1590b size build.

Cheers
Troy

P.S. If i post too much please let me know if it is bothering people. I notice only a few people regularly post and would be good to meet others as well.
I build cause I'm to pov to buy one! Plus electrocution is a great learning tool

samhay

I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

Elijah-Baley

«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

EBK

Maybe try building a chorus or delay pedal next.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

slashandburn

Vero is great but be aware it can be a pain in the arse to solder when the boards get busy and has a more potential for general frustration, particularly with bigger circuits.   It's a lot more difficult than populating a pcb. 

Definitely do it. I'm in no way trying to discourage you. It's a good way to practice your soldering skills. If you're anything like me though you might find the learning curve a bit frustrating. It's easier than it looks to miscount rows and columns and there's a tendency for layouts to be a lot more compact, meaning you don't have a lot of space to work with.  Less room for your iron tip, less room for components on the other side, etc.

Maybe this is just me, but I've noticed when I make a mistake with stripboard it's usually near the middle of the board.  The holes near the edges must be easier to keep count of.

Anyway enough of my negativity.  I've used the tagboard effects layouts before, they're really handy. I'm eyeing up their Red Box DI as a possible future build.  I don't think I've seen Sabrotone before, looks like I've theres a fairly thorough step by step guide there too.   

davent

Already noted tagboardeffects has a couple good tutarials on the process to go with it's extensive library of layouts. Sabro Tone is another site to check into.

http://www.sabrotone.com/?page_id=386

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

EBK

Whenever I'm not doing a kit build or someone else's PCB, I use veroboard.  I find it fun to design a new layout.  It's a lot like playing Tetris.  Get the epoxy resin kind though, not the phenol kind.
  • SUPPORTER

digi2t

All excellent recommendations. Especially the epoxy over phenolic board suggestion. Granted, the phenolic is cheaper, and I've used a ton of it myself without any problems, but for larger projects, the epoxy boards are more robust.

As a confirmed vero freak, I must confess, I do take the occasional break from time to time, and buy a PCB. Sometimes, I just can't be bothered to crack my skull for a project, especially if that project PCB is available at a fair price, or if the project is simply too gross to commit to vero.

If you decide to take a crack at DIYLC to design your own veros, do yourself a huge favor; take the time to take stock of what are usually the most popular components, and set their dimensions as the defaults in the library. For example, 1/4 watt resistors are typically 0.25" long, by 0.09" wide. If you set this as the default size for all resistors, every time you throw one onto the layout, you'll see right away if you'll run into any conflicts with surrounding components. Electro caps are another one. For the most part, your run of the mill cap for most pedal projects will be of the 5mm diameter variety, with 0.1" pin spacing. Set this as default right away, so when you do drop a cap into the layout, you'll see right away if it will fit, or if you have to juggle things around. Once you have the general stuff ticked as default, it's much easier to deal with the oddball stuff thereafter. Once you complete a layout, you'll have a much more honest representation of how the board will really look.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

bluebunny

Quote from: ShOrEbReAk on November 16, 2016, 06:44:44 AM
Vero seems to be the purist way of doing things around here and I want to try it.

Hmmm...  Not sure where you got "purist"!   ;D   But sure, go ahead and try it.  It's good to have a number of alternative methods under your belt.

Make sure your board is clean and shiny when you start.  I use one of those abrasive rubber blocks.  When the copper strips tarnish, you'll be plagued by poor solder joints; you might find you can't make a joint at all.  And be aware that the sites mentioned tend to be layouts without schematics.  Depends whether you want to solder-by-numbers, or whether you want to understand the circuit you're building.  Best of all, start with the schematic and design your own Vero layout using DIYLC.  A very satisfying endeavour.  And follow Dino's advice above: he is truly the Obi-Wan Vero around these parts.   ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Bluwav

effectslayouts.blogspot.com

I used layout from them for my build. I had made more than 15 using their layout on veroboard.

This is one of my build. Should be a bluesbreaker.

Veroboard or stripboard or perfboard, I'm confused....

EBK

You don't have to use DIYLC, by the way.  I design my layouts on engineering paper with pencil.  Here's a glimpse of my layout for Wayne Kirkwood's One Knob Squeezer (very awesome compressor in my opinion):

Edit: Figured out how to make that image smaller!
  • SUPPORTER

slashandburn

Quote from: Bluwav on November 17, 2016, 03:47:42 AM

Veroboard or stripboard or perfboard, I'm confused....

Don't forget tripad board! Though that's another level of confusion. Especially if you've never seen it until you get home and get ready to cut it to size for a tagobard effects layout.

Good point though Bluwav.  We should maybe clarify if he means the tagboard effects style boards or the single eyelet type board you used for your bluesbreaker.  I've always assumed stripboard and veroboard described the former, and perfboard the latter. I'm wrong about many things though and the terms might be used interchangably to some extent.

deadastronaut

eric, i can see that from mars... ;D
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

EBK

Quote from: deadastronaut on November 17, 2016, 06:37:07 AM
eric, i can see that from mars... ;D
I can't figure out why sometimes my imgur pics come in large and sometimes small.... Sorry.
  Edit: see above.  :icon_biggrin:
  • SUPPORTER

ShOrEbReAk

I just seen most people use vero perfboard etc and thought that was the way most go instead of buying a pcb. The purist comment was in regards to that as i aspire to be able to use and design some later on.

Cheers again for the the links and dimensions on parts plus the diylc program. Now i need to find time to read and research all you have given me to ponder.
I build cause I'm to pov to buy one! Plus electrocution is a great learning tool