Japanese Book Fuzz

Started by lepra85, November 17, 2016, 09:43:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lepra85

Hi everyone,
I would like to build the following Fuzz:
http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/OOP%20Japanese%20Electronics%20Book/fuzz-with-tone.gif

I like very much the the simple that it is.
I saw that the pedals of this book are quite popular, but I didnt find one build report or reviews regarding this circuit.
does anyone built this pedal?

thanks,
Lepra85

merlinb

It would be faster to breadboard this circuit than to read a review... or this post.

Mark Hammer

Could be interesting.  If installed into a wah shell, it can easily be a fuzz-wah, or rather, an overdrive-wah.

Gonna need a bunch of mods to run off +9v, though.

mac

First opamp gain is fixed at 100. Think Mxr Dist+ :-)

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

anotherjim

I haven't built it, but the filter option could be interesting - tune your mids. Could work as second stage option for tube screamer too? Hmmm....
If you don't mind running from 2 batteries, as it is, it will have more clipping from the diodes  compared to a single 9v design like the Dist+ where the input amp is doing most of the clipping during note attack.

Note: the input is tuned to work from direct passive guitar input - it won't sound as intended with anything else in between.

lepra85

Yes Mac, anotherjim,
seems like a MXR Dist+, the subtle difference is that in the Fuzz gain stage have no cutoff for low frequencies.
The lack of limitation in the low frequencies is what I expect to be the cause the Fuzzy sound.

Mark Hammer

A gain of 100 is actually less than what a Dist+ delivers.  If I were building this thing, I'd replace the 10k ground-leg resistor with a 2k2 in series with a 50k pot.  That will give gains ranging from around 20x to around 455x.  The Dist+ max gain is 213x.  A 10-33pf cap, in parallel with the 1M feedback resistor would help things along.

You will note that, because it uses a bipolar supply, it omits any DC-blocking capacitors.

mac

QuoteThe lack of limitation in the low frequencies is what I expect to be the cause the Fuzzy sound.

A flat response in the first stage before all the filtering in the second one?

Another thing I would do is to change the Q. A pot instead of the 100k after the diodes can do it.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

lepra85

QuoteA flat response in the first stage before all the filtering in the second one?
Yes, reaching the clipping "stage" without cutting the low frequencies will produce the fuzz (I suppose).