Has Anyone Built the Escobedo PWM with a Different Fuzz Circuit?

Started by turdadactyl, November 17, 2016, 10:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turdadactyl

That, as Hamlet said, is the question.

In other words, has anyone used the Schmitt trigger portion but used a different fuzz instead of the 386 portion?  If so, how did it work out for you?

I've been trying it with mixed results.  Losing lots of high notes.

lapsteelman

I'll be following this... I just breadboarded this circuit with the same results. I did get somewhat improved performance with a simple Jfet preamp at the input. Parasite Studio has some CMOS based effects that use CD4069 buffer at the input

turdadactyl

Flynn

Heh...Bueller :-)

Haven't tried that mod but I did build the straight circuit - love it! 

Did you read about trying different fuzz's with this somewhere?   Hadn't heard of mods to it, very cool.

turdadactyl

Quote from: Flynn on November 20, 2016, 12:37:40 PM
Heh...Bueller :-)

Haven't tried that mod but I did build the straight circuit - love it! 

Did you read about trying different fuzz's with this somewhere?   Hadn't heard of mods to it, very cool.

Nope.  Just figured I'd try it since I like the original and thought it might be cool with a Big Muff or Fuzz Face.  Right now I have it hooked up to a 2-knob Foxey Lady and a variation on a BMP.  Both are decent but not perfect.

Flynn

Sounds like a killer idea!  I'll be stalking this thread to the end.

I want to put the PWM circuit in a dead wah-pedal i have.   Always loved the PWM effect on analog synths.

anotherjim

A comparator fuzz (ultra fuzz) might be worth a try...
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=56615.0
Or a Schmitt trigger fuzz,. here's the Parasit CMOS inverter (4069UB) circuit...

R4 adjusts the sensitivity.

Either type are opposite ways of making a square wave.

Comparator switches high or low  when the signal crosses some threshold voltage -  usually set somewhere close to the zero crossing.

The Schmitt trigger only switches when the signal voltage travels above the high threshold voltage and won't switch back again until signal falls under the low threshold voltage. While the signal is between the 2 thresholds, it remains latched in the state it was set by the last switch.

Comparator can be jittery when the signal decays. Schmitt can be "gatey" & fail to pick up on soft playing. Both can jitter with complex signal wave (strong harmonics) and when the signal level decays.