Problem On Breadboarding Some CA3080/LM13700 Compressor

Started by Agung Kurniawan, November 20, 2016, 04:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agung Kurniawan

Hi everyone..
Have you breadboard some CA3080/LM13700 compressor like DynaComp, Deep 6, or Keeley 4 Knob compressor?
Did it working? Did it sounds clean?

I have breadboard some 3080/13700 compressor many times, but still doesnt get them working. The sound was distort, no pot do their job, everythink just mess up...
I've check every single side on the breadboard, component, voltage, wire, pot...
Nothink wrong, but still crap out from my sound...
Can anyone please help me with this problem?
Thanks...
Multiple gain stage followed by some active EQ is delicious.

Lothric

Just do pcb from tonepad dude, got it in first shot,why breadboard something which is verified? Go for tonepad Ross comp.

send from Tapatalk

slashandburn

Not breadboarded, but I've built the tonepad PCB's for the dynacomp (3080) and the ibanez cp-9 (LM13700) and they were both fine.   I had big problems with the dynacomp that turned out to be a fake CA3080.

Beo

I found ross comp would distort using 9v supply, but feeding it 11v gave it the headroom it needs...

Kipper4

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Ben Lyman

I had the same prob with breading a Dynacomp, as kipper will remember I'm sure. So the OP's original question remains (and begs) to be answered:
"Has had success breadboarding this?"

I too would like to know if success has been had. I am still learning about all this stuff and something I recently learned was that I could not make a mini amp work on the board unless I "star-grounded" everything.

Could it be possible that these comps are another sensitive circuit that require extra care? Cut all components short, use shortest possible jumpers, star-ground, power-bypass caps on the IC, etc.

Of course, going straight to a verified build sounds appealing too  :)
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

Agung Kurniawan

Quote from: Kipper4 on November 20, 2016, 11:23:50 AM
Do your voltages check out?
Of course, 9,xxV on the supply but havent check on each ic pin yet...

Agung Kurniawan

Quote from: Ben Lyman on November 20, 2016, 12:42:35 PMCould it be possible that these comps are another sensitive circuit that require extra care? Cut all components short, use shortest possible jumpers, star-ground, power-bypass caps on the IC, etc.
Thanks, its helping. Sience my resistor has long lug and the jumper is a cable maybe that was the problem...
Maybe this aftrenoon im going to breaboard it again..

Sent from my GT-S7262 using Tapatalk

Agung Kurniawan

Quote from: Beo on November 20, 2016, 11:23:17 AM
I found ross comp would distort using 9v supply, but feeding it 11v gave it the headroom it needs...
Really you get the headroom with bigger voltage?
Im try to breadboarding comp cause of their sound was to crapy for me. For me the subtle clean electric guitar sound is do nothing but crap. Without the headroom, it lose the power.  So im try to make active middle EQ along with them. If feed them more voltage will bring the headroom back, it will be helpful...

Beo

Quote from: Agung Kurniawan on November 20, 2016, 05:53:06 PM
Quote from: Beo on November 20, 2016, 11:23:17 AM
Really you get the headroom with bigger voltage?
Im try to breadboarding comp cause of their sound was to crapy for me. For me the subtle clean electric guitar sound is do nothing but crap. Without the headroom, it lose the power.  So im try to make active middle EQ along with them. If feed them more voltage will bring the headroom back, it will be helpful...

I found that without the extra voltage, sound was distorted when slamming heavy chords through the comp. No distortion when playing normally. If you always have a distorted signal, something is wrong.