Alternate True Bypass Looper w/Feedback Loop wiring?

Started by One-Eyed Shaman, November 21, 2016, 01:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

One-Eyed Shaman

I'm building a true bypass looper with a feedback switch, based on this diagram - but I'm wondering if it's possible to wire it differently. What I want is to have the output from the SPDT switch to be contained within the 'input of circuit board/output of circuit board' of a 3pdt - the way you would wire an effect pedal normally - if that makes sense.

I want to put a boost after the output of the spdt switch which would be bypassed along with everything else within the loop of the 3pdt. The way the looper diagram is now, putting a boost after the spdt would make it remain on always - which I don't want.

Is what I'm trying to do possible, or am I maybe missing something? Or would I need a different kind of switch, like a 4pdt instead of a 3pdt? I hope I'm explaining myself clearly. Let me know if I can clarify anything. Thanks!

blackieNYC

What you have there is a switch that engages the pedal, or bypasses it. Just a true bypass switch. Stick with the top one. The key is the TWO wires connected at the tip of Send. It will see input, or return+input. Think you'd want two antiparallel diodes (Ge,Si,LED) to put a cap on just how hard you want to clip the input of the looped device?

Edit- slacker's got ya. But will the switch give you the fx send and return without feedback? I guess you leave the existing return wire and add the one he mentions below. I need a pencil.
But this I know - you do not want a booster that inverts phase!  You'll get attenuation instead of feedback.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

slacker

I think this will do what you want. Going from your top diagram, disconnect the red wires from the SPDT switch so the output from the middle pin of the 3PDT goes straight to the output jack tip.
Take a wire from the return jack tip to the input of your booster take the output of your booster to where the red wires went on the SPDT. Now the feedback loop and booster are within the switching of the 3PDT so they're bypassed when the 3PDT is in bypass.

One-Eyed Shaman

Quote from: slacker on November 21, 2016, 03:50:59 PM
I think this will do what you want. Going from your top diagram, disconnect the red wires from the SPDT switch so the output from the middle pin of the 3PDT goes straight to the output jack tip.
Take a wire from the return jack tip to the input of your booster take the output of your booster to where the red wires went on the SPDT. Now the feedback loop and booster are within the switching of the 3PDT so they're bypassed when the 3PDT is in bypass.

Awesome! This method works great, thank you!

One more question: I'm also doing some additional modifications to the aforementioned schematic. I have a switchable fuzz circuit between the 3PDT switch and the Send 1/4 inch jack - I want to have a switch that would either send the signal after the fuzz circuit directly to the 1/4 inch Send jack  OR bypass the Send/Return loop jacks altogether and send the signal after the fuzz circuit directly to the Feedback SPDT switch. (So that the pedal can operate with or without other pedals in the loop, independently) I have this set up now, with another SPDT switch doing what I just described - the only problem is that when I bypass the Send/Return loop, the instrument signal sounds severely muddied, missing all the high end when it should, in theory, be completely clean. When the switch is set to send signal through the Send/Return loop, it sounds completely fine.

What am I missing here? How should this be wired?