adding dry-out jack to Boss DS-1

Started by madzub, November 21, 2016, 05:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madzub

Seems like it should be a simple thing, since Boss pedals have a buffered bypass.  Besides drilling a hole and adding a jack, what would i have to add, and which wires would i have to cut and reconnect to add a parallel dry-output? 

http://cdn.tonegeek.com/wp-content/uploads/Boss-DS-1-schematic.png

GibsonGM

Can I ask...why you want this? There's no room in the standard box for another jack.  If you have room in an enclosure YOU built, you may be better off to just use a FET splitter ahead of the circuit to gain your 'dry out' (really just a buffered "through-put").       

This way, you don't have to do a thing to the existing circuit.  http://www.muzique.com/lab/splitter.htm

Or, perhaps you could mess around with tapping off of the right side of C2 on the schematic? I'd find it simpler to add the splitter, personally....might toast the original unit messing around with it too much.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

ElectricDruid

+1 agree. It makes more sense to put the work into building a buffered splitter with two outputs that you can then put ahead of any pedal you like, rather than messing around trying to hack an individual pedal, especially one with a buffer no-one seems to rate very highly.

Unless you've got some specific reason why you want this on this particular box?

Tom

drummer4gc

Trying to think outside the box here...

You could replace the output jack with a stereo jack, sending the effect out to the tip and tapping an output from after the buffer to the sleeve. Then, plug in a 1/4" TRS splitter cable giving two outputs, one clean/buffered and one effected.

GibsonGM

Quote from: drummer4gc on November 22, 2016, 12:00:38 AM
Trying to think outside the box here...

You could replace the output jack with a stereo jack, sending the effect out to the tip and tapping an output from after the buffer to the sleeve. Then, plug in a 1/4" TRS splitter cable giving two outputs, one clean/buffered and one effected.

You could, and that's a nicer solution than adding another jack, but there are also holes in the PCB that the original jack sat in...you'd have to hack some new ones in, and also tap into the circuit.    Now it's not an "Original Boss DS-1", it is modified, and as such things often go, in the future a wire comes loose and nobody knows where it came from, LOL!

I'd do it off-board, all other things being held constant.  There is nothing unique about the sound of the Boss bypass/dry signal  ;)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

madzub

Thanks for the responses.  My intentions were to save space for one, and secondly for simplicity, but i guess it wouldn't be as simple as i thought given the enclosure issue... 

A JFET splitter would be a better idea, and more versatile, I should just do that instead. 

My intention was to run the clean out into the main input of a ring modulator, and the distorted out into the carrier input of the RM.  I figured the DS1 would be a good pedal for this purpose with its high gain and tone control, but i haven't tried it so with a splitter i could try other fuzzes.