mxr phase 45 problem

Started by scotheath, November 21, 2016, 09:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotheath

Not sure if anybody can help with this  My question is this, I finished a smoothie build (a madbean PCB) which is a phase 45 clone build. Works great in front and in the loop but after I finished it I put it in the loop after my eq pedal. plugged in and played, no sound, nothing, after some trouble shooting I found this. The pedal works fine by itself in front or in the loop, but with a pedal in front of it or behind it I get no sound. pedal on or off no sound, but it does work great by itself. I've posted my issue on the madbean forum a week ago with no help. any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Scot

thermionix

What's the power supply situation?

scotheath

9v power supply and 9v battery, same results either way

Ben Lyman

Have you tested it with other pedals and got the same result or just with the EQ pedal?
Does the EQ pedal work by itself and with other pedals?
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

scotheath

for sure I have, my effects loop is. mxr 6 band EQ, boss chorus, MXR carbon copy delay, doner flanger, which I replaced with the phase build. tried phase in every position in the loop. only way it works is by itself, nothing before or after. same results going into the front of amp, great by itself but no sound with anything in front or behind it

samhay

If you're using plastic jacks, check you haven't switched the wiring between tip and sleeve.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

scotheath

Not using plastic jacks, wiring looks good

Ben Lyman

Well that's a real head scratcher, ain't it.
I guess the next thing is to post some pics here and get some eyes on it.
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

PRR

Fussy about interconnect suggests input or output DC-block caps not working. If "the other thing" has a working cap, no matter. If it doesn't, your box may bias up so far off it won't pass signal.
  • SUPPORTER

scotheath

Interesting, not sure I fully understand though. how do I trace that down ?
I will google  "output DC-block caps " and see if I can understand

scotheath

So it appears my first assessment not completely accurate, this pedal will work with pedals before and after it as long as there are no more than 5 total pedals. by that I mean 4 in the loop and tuner out front, total of 5, or any combo of 3 n 2 or whatever, but if I put a 6th pedal I get nothing, I guess not nothing but a VERY week signal coming through amp. w/ out the phase pedal I can put 5 in the loop and 5 out front. I would never need to do that but its frustrating. must be a power thing.