Help with High-pitch pedal feedback noise with fuzz pedal

Started by Se7en_Costanza, November 23, 2016, 10:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Se7en_Costanza

I recenetly made a devi ever Soda meiser off a verified layout i found on google. It was easy to build and works fine, but when the pedal is on i have this high pitch feedback sound constantly ringing, its not as loud as the fuzz is, but still very annoying, wondered if anyone could help me resolve it? Its not my guitar feedingback also, its something wrong with the pedal, and when my guitar's pickups are turned off and my volume knob is on 0 the feedback sound is the exact same, and gets louder when you turn the volume up on the pedal.
Hopefully this is an easy fix.

I can post audio of the feedbacking sound if need be.

radio

Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

Se7en_Costanza

The noise goes when i plug a battery in, and works fine, but i wanted it to run off a power supply, the power supply i was testing it with is a cheapo but when i plug it into my good regulated voodoo labs power supply (which works perfectly on all my other pedals btw), the pedal doesnt seem to function properly at all, the fuzz sounds exatremely gated, and when i tap the footswitch, enclosure and pots with my finger it amplifies and comes out the amp, like a surface mic for an acoustic guitar or something, ive never seen this problem before, do you know what might be up?

I also tried it on all 8 ports of my pedal power, and get the same results, but on the battery its perfect, and on the cheapo power supply it works but has that feedback sound.

antonis

Quote from: Se7en_Costanza on November 23, 2016, 10:04:38 AM
I recenetly made a devi ever Soda meiser off a verified layout i found on google.
If you please post it here, we should also clarify for the "bad" PCB PS regulation/filtering relatively to high gain "squealing" - if this is the case here...

Meanwhile, try a bypass capacitor (say 1nF) from Base of second BJT to GND... :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

Quote from: Se7en_Costanza on November 24, 2016, 07:32:54 AM

I can try that for sure but what's a BJT?

Base    Bipolar Junction Transistor, the "real name" of what we're using here - Antonis is talking about the second transistor.  They usually call them out with the letter "Q", so it is Q2...the base is the middle leg, where the "R" in R4 is.   You would put a 1nF capacitor from there to ground, where the "top legs" of Q3 and Q4 are.     

Wow, I just did my first Vero work, LOL....
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

Ha ha ha!!! Corrected.  Thanks Antonis, I have not said "Bipolar" (about a transistor at least) in probably a decade...thinking about capacitors on the base, no doubt.

:icon_redface: :icon_razz: :icon_razz: :icon_razz:
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...