Fuzz Face (Boutique '69 clone from GGG)

Started by FirstTimer007, November 27, 2016, 04:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FirstTimer007

Hello all !
I have built a Fuzz using the schematic and layout from GGG i.e.

Schematic:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_ff5_sc_b69.pdf
Layout:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_ff5_lo_b69.pdf

I bought NPN Ge transistors from Smallbear and reversed the 'polarity protection diode' and the 3 electrolytic caps, and omitted the DC socket - planning on using a battery only.

I first put a pair of 2n3904 silicon transistors in the sockets in order to save from damaging the Ge ones and it worked great with no noise, then I replaced 'em with the germs.

Thing is it worked very well, as quiet as any pedal I've ever used, all in the case, just with some insulation 'under' the board (a blank piece of fiberglass circuit board with copper side 'away' from the circuit), but only for an hour!
It is now too noisy to use  :icon_cry: I have checked continuity with my DMM and measured the voltages on each pin of the transistors which are as follows:

Q1  E  0.00 V    Q2  E  0.74 V
      B  0.60 V           B  1.37 V
      C  1.37 V           C  3.46 V

I don't know what to do next  :icon_frown: Can the 'Audio Probe' be used to debug from here?
Pulling my hair out right now....

smallbearelec

Can you describe the noise? Is it hum? Squeal?

FirstTimer007

Thanks for the reply Mr Small Bear !

It is white noise - I think that's what it's called - static sort of thing...Very loud compared to the signal, the noise is constant,  but use of the pots gives 'crackles' and 'pops' - which the pedal did not do at first.

I have tried with several amps, leads and guitars, with no luck...

I etched the boards for 4 of these and have since soldered up a second one (I bought 4 different pairs of Fuzz Face trannys) and it is doing the same thing from scratch...   :icon_cry:

I went back to the 2n3904s to see if I had damaged the 'US NPN Fuzz Face pair' but the noise is still there...

Thanks again for your reply   :icon_wink:

Cheers Sean

smallbearelec

Please drop a message to smallbearelec@ix.netcom.com. I have a few more questions, and it's easier to help if I have your order in front of me. Need your e-mail address to look that up.