Envirotex Discovery

Started by karbomusic, November 28, 2016, 03:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karbomusic

I'm sure everyone who uses it knows about dealing with the sides of pedals and the runs/splotches that are it's Achilles' heel. I usually deal with it by continually brushing the sides as it cures but even then, the chance remains of having an issue and if it does, I sand the sides in post and overlay with the same paint that was used on the sides to start with.

This weekend I built two pedals and on a whim I decided to polish the aluminum with a buffing wheel to a near mirror finish, place a waterslide decal on top and just leave the sides chrome looking - then on top of all that a coat of Envirotex. Since these were for me personally, I only brushed the sides right after the initial pour ready to accept the sides as-is.

Voila, I come back a few hours later only to find near-perfect if not perfect sides. I did not expect this, nor have I ever gotten such great results without even trying. Lastly, I needed to fix an older pedal's painted (no envirotex) finish the next day, so I stripped the top and coated in Envirotex since I was tooled up already. It had painted sides, and I used the same process - guess what... back to the same old previous runs and splotches issue. I think it is because of the paint layer it is on vs the pure aluminum. I'm near certain it is not smoothness FWIW.

Anyone else notice this? If this holds up, it is significant. I'll post pictures showing what I mean this evening, just not home right now.

jimilee

What I do is use what doesn't look like nearly enough enviro, "push" it and spread it with what appears to be a tongue depressor, seems to work like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

karbomusic

Quote from: jimilee on November 28, 2016, 05:20:52 PM
What I do is use what doesn't look like nearly enough enviro, "push" it and spread it with what appears to be a tongue depressor, seems to work like a charm.

Thanks for the info. :)

karbomusic

Here is what I'm talking about, a significant difference to me. Notice how the one on the left acts like a water based marker trying to write on an oil or silicone base. It appears the epoxy is trying to avoid the paint. I always have to deal with what shows on the left if the substrate is paint; albeit I have not tried multiple brands of paint.

EBK

Experiment: What happens if you put water on your painted enclosure? Does it bead up?  The result might predict what the epoxy would do.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

karbomusic

Quote from: EBK on November 29, 2016, 06:13:02 AM
Experiment: What happens if you put water on your painted enclosure? Does it bead up?  The result might predict what the epoxy would do.

Likely the same.

I guess the reason I posted is I thought that was as good as it gets, but polishing the sides instead of painting already saves me time in general; so if it also makes envirotex flow better, all the better. Since many others have also complained about pedal sides and envirotex, I wanted to make sure they were also aware of this difference as it may be beneficial.

I had stopped using it for most pedals I sold (which isn't that many) due to dealing with the sides, but now I can use it again which is often far more durable from a DIY perspective.

anotherjim

Have you seen the guide pdf at...
https://www.eti-usa.com/envirotex-lite/
It would seem humidity is a killer for the stuff.
Otherwise, pre-painted should be ok so long as it's sanded for keying and clean & dry.

Actually, it also requires application on a level surface with any excess allowed to run off over the edges. I wonder how you can reliably work this on our enclosures; given the sloped sides.

karbomusic

Quote from: anotherjim on November 29, 2016, 01:40:12 PM
Have you seen the guide pdf at...
https://www.eti-usa.com/envirotex-lite/
It would seem humidity is a killer for the stuff.
Otherwise, pre-painted should be ok so long as it's sanded for keying and clean & dry.

Actually, it also requires application on a level surface with any excess allowed to run off over the edges. I wonder how you can reliably work this on our enclosures; given the sloped sides.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info and yes I am aware of all that - been using it for a couple years now and there are zero issues with the tops and general usage - this is a geek side-investigation. :) We know sides are sort of outside the target usage just to be clear but if we can consistently solve that problem, it is a big win, at least for me. :) It may actually be solved for me personally, but wanted to make sure others were aware.

This is only about the 'drawing up' of the Envirotex on painted vs polished surfaces on the sides. As you can see in the pictures, the one on the right is pretty much like a mirror compared to the left. I'm a big fan of this stuff, as you can basically whack it with a hammer and not damage it - there is no comparison as far as durability goes when comparing to spray/lacquer finishes.

anotherjim

It is a cool finish you got for sure. Might try it myself,  been lazy lately and not getting further than marker pen control labels - or the labelling machine.
I used to get good results from polyurethane spay cans, but I'm sure the stuff isn't what it used to be. Doesn't scratch but tears & peels like skin off a blister.

karbomusic

Quote from: anotherjim on November 29, 2016, 05:00:55 PM
It is a cool finish you got for sure. Might try it myself,  been lazy lately and not getting further than marker pen control labels - or the labelling machine.
I used to get good results from polyurethane spay cans, but I'm sure the stuff isn't what it used to be. Doesn't scratch but tears & peels like skin off a blister.

I loved polyurethane from my wood days. I have some spray somewhere that I bought for pedals but didn't use it because I was afraid it might yellow? Could be wrong there. Might have to try it again though because any of my attempts of spray lacquer over the last two years, just can't hold up at all and is very susceptible to being melted when certain cables etc. lay on it - sort of like gel fishing worms that melt tackle box plastic if you remember those days. It's fine for say just lying around in the studio floor but just doesn't work out for gigging etc.

I'll try to post some images of successful Envirotex tops sometime. 

karbomusic

Here are a few I had lying around just to give an idea of the tops. The labels are waterslide decals...

bloxstompboxes

Quote from: karbomusic on November 29, 2016, 08:39:48 PM
Here are a few I had lying around just to give an idea of the tops. The labels are waterslide decals...

Wow man, those really look top-notch. Me likey.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

anotherjim

Beauties. You could have a sideline making jewellery boxes.

bluebunny

These are indeed very good.  Reminds me I ought to break open the box I bought ages ago and actually use it!
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

alr300

I'm guessing you spend as much (or more) time on the enclosure as on making the circuit, wiring up, etc.?  Those pedals look fantastic!  I might try some envirotex type of stuff over a powerdcoated base (I have a small powdercoating rig at home) to see what happens.  I suppose I could just layer cut-out images glued down, and cover with envirotex....  Now I have more experiments to undertake!  Thanks for posting.
"Never attribute to malice that which may be adequately explained by stupidity."  Hanlon's Razor

karbomusic

Quote from: bluebunny on November 30, 2016, 09:38:03 AM
These are indeed very good.  Reminds me I ought to break open the box I bought ages ago and actually use it!

I had sort of stopped using it very much but decided to start messing with it again. There are two things that made things better - hopefully solving some of the runny sides issue and I also found that placing a big plastic storage container over it an then a space heater to one side... I get the temperature to maybe 105 F which takes the curing time from 5-6 hours to something like 2 or 3. In other words if I pour it at noon, I'm probably able to assemble the pedal by 4PM.

Quote from: alr300
I'm guessing you spend as much (or more) time on the enclosure as on making the circuit, wiring up, etc.?  Those pedals look fantastic! 

Thanks! It's not as much time now. When I was learning/practicing it took much longer. Now I sort of have an organized system so I probably have a couple hours spent on enclosures not counting any time spent designing or finding a label.