Troubleshooting a microamp

Started by PeterJ, November 28, 2016, 05:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterJ

Hi, all - I have a mid-2000s MXR microamp that's been acting up lately. When I step on the switch (a Carling DPDT), the volume mostly, but not completely, cuts out. Some sound still gets through, but the volume knob makes only a tiny bit of difference.

Is this most likely a switch issue? Is the answer simply replacing the switch? I've done some simple builds, so I'm not afraid to solder, but I don't want to start dissecting without some ideas of where to go. The paint flakes off these MXR boxes if you look at them wrong...

Thanks for suggestions.
Duct tape and particle board!

GibsonGM

The first thing I'd check, with symptoms like that, is for a loose solder connection between switch and board. After that, yup, bad/dirty switch.

So, I'd re-flow the switch contacts at the PCB, and then try it out....lightly (carefully!) flex the PCB with a pencil eraser while engaged, to ensure that the issue is fixed.  Should take 10 mins. to know if that's it...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

PeterJ

Cool! I'll give that a shot and report back. Thanks!

ElectricDruid

Have a look for cracked tracks on the PCB too, especially if the switch is PCB mounted. If the switch is a bit loose (or has been in the past) then the board gets flexed when you step on it and eventually the tracks crack. This can be a pain to find since often the problem is intermittent and only shows up when the board is flexed.

HTH,
Tom

PeterJ

I played around with it, and the sound comes back intermittently if I gently wiggle the plunger side to side. I did reflow the solder joints on the switch, with no change. I'm thinking I just need to replace the original Carling switch itself. I will try flexing the board before I do the surgery, though. Thanks for the tip.