Realistic "Electronic Reverb" Fuzz

Started by doug deeper, November 30, 2016, 11:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doug deeper

So, perhaps not the most useful thing, but when I was a kid I played guitar through a Realistic "electronic reverb" a lot (was actually a short analog delay).

The delay portion is pretty boring, but for some reason I still dig the muddy and at once harsh overdrive/fuzz sound of plugging into the mic input and cranking the input.
Here's that part of the circuit should anyone be curious.

Mark Hammer

Doug, jeez haven't seen you here in a dog's age.  Where ya been?  Or have I been following all the wrong threads for a few years?

stringsthings

I actually had that "reverb" way back in the day.  I can't recall if it was a kit or assembled.  I do remember that it used a SAD1024
and it sounded awful to me.   Looking back, it was a grand waste of a SAD1024.

Mark Hammer

Former forum member, the late Peter Snow, had a penchant for visiting all the Radio Shacks within a reasonable vicinity of work at lunch, and amassed a stack of RS and "Genexa" boxes, including what I recall were three of the electronic reverb units.  Perhaps the earliest models may have been different, but my recollection is that they used MN3207 chips.

wavley

Quote from: Mark Hammer on November 30, 2016, 02:53:20 PM
Former forum member, the late Peter Snow, had a penchant for visiting all the Radio Shacks within a reasonable vicinity of work at lunch, and amassed a stack of RS and "Genexa" boxes, including what I recall were three of the electronic reverb units.  Perhaps the earliest models may have been different, but my recollection is that they used MN3207 chips.

I have one of the RS SAD1024 reverbs at my shop, it looks like it might have been a kit.  Somewhere I have a couple of the black ones that had faders on it but I can't find them, I imagine that they're probably the MN3207 ones.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

doug deeper

Haha, I poke my head in once in a while, rarely post anywhere anymore though.
Drew this one up for my own collection of "things that distort but shouldn't", figured I'd pass it along.
:)
There's actually a plug in version of this which I end up using quite a bit (sounds SPOOKY close to the real deal), made me want to breadboard the real deal.

anotherjim

Is that really 330uF across the 47k into the second amp? I'm curious about that.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: wavley on November 30, 2016, 03:08:56 PM
Quote from: Mark Hammer on November 30, 2016, 02:53:20 PM

I have one of the RS SAD1024 reverbs at my shop, it looks like it might have been a kit.  Somewhere I have a couple of the black ones that had faders on it but I can't find them, I imagine that they're probably the MN3207 ones.
Wasn't aware of that, but in retrospect not surprising, given that the SAD-1024 was one of the "feature chips" that would show up in the catalog that I looked forward to every fall (aw jeez, I have so many things to work on tonight and you've made me wanna go in the basement and flip through my old RS catalogs from the 70's and 80's).

Now I also want to sort through the boxesof stuff in Peter's basement to see if the RS reverb units he  had were of the 3207 or1024 variety.  Would you know if they had different item/catalog numbers?

armdnrdy

The SAD version is: Catalog # 277-132

The MN3207 version is: Realistic 32-1110
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Mark Hammer

Thanks Larry.  You're a prince!  I'll take a boo next time I'm down there. This way I won't have to open them up.