Building my first Stompbox

Started by cnelsonplumber, November 30, 2016, 02:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnelsonplumber

Hi to all

My first project arrived through the post today but Santa has borrowed it and promised return on 25th December! I'm not sure on the details of forum rules and If I can say where I got it from or the model number. Perhaps someone can advise me before I put my foot in it.

I would like to ask a couple of questions as the assembly instructions are not fully comprehensive. I will ask away once I hear back about my first paragraph

My surname is Nelson so I am hoping this is a good omen  :icon_eek:

Thanks

EBK

Welcome to the forum!
There is a sticky thread with the rules (called "Read this before you post" or something similar).  Once you've read that, come back and tell us what you got and how we can help.  First builds are always exciting!  :icon_biggrin:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Kipper4

Welcome Chris.
A very merry pedalmas to you.
There's very few effects we can't talk about hear.
The guys are very helpful and knowledgable you have come to the right place.
There's no such thing as a stupid question here.
Since it looks like your a plumber. I guess your soldering technique is upto standard.

Have you any previous electronic skills and training?
Welcome aboard
Rich
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

cnelsonplumber

OK. The kit is from J.dp.d and its a very popular distortion one with an 8 in it!

I won't get to start the kit until Christmas day, probably a couple of days after, so I want to get everything ready then it will be all systems go once the kids settle down.

I did repair my Prologic sound system once when I was a young man as the transistor controlling the fan did not cut in until the board was nuclear hot, so I re-soldered the other transistors and shorted out the board so the fan ran all the time.  :) Apart from that and a few very simple Home Brew beer related projects, I am a complete amateur.  I am sure I will have loads of questions when I get started but for the time being I just want to say Hi, ask about suitable paint for the aluminium case and if an undercoat is recommended.  :icon_question:

I guess that I should also ask about heat sinks based on previous experience, as none are supplied with the kit.

I am already getting the impression this is the right place for friendly helpful people

cheers

EBK

Quote from: cnelsonplumber on November 30, 2016, 04:43:17 PM
OK. The kit is from J.dp.d and its a very popular distortion one with an 8 in it!
You may have to be a bit less cryptic.  :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER

Kipper4

Haha did I mention a sense of humour is a bonus too. :)

Grey Paper.

jfrabat

Chris,

Welcome.  As a newb myself I can tell you that the guys here have A LOT of patience, and are VERY helpful!  I have one pedal under my belt working perfectly, another that I finished, but do not really like the sound, one I messed up and am in the process of correcting, and one that's halfway built on the breadboard.  I have nothing but great things to say about this site, and I think after a few visits, you will too...  So season's greetings all the way from Costa Rica!

Felipe
I build.  I fix.  I fix again.  And again.  And yet again.  (sometimes again once more).  Then I have something that works! (Most of the time!).

EBK

To answer one of your questions, generally (99% of the time), no heat sinks are required unless you are talking about building a pedal board power supply or something similar.  If it gets hot, something is wired/soldered incorrectly. 
  • SUPPORTER

Kipper4

As for paint. Personally I use Rustolium rattle can paints and clear coat (not affiliated) it's just what they stock at my local hardware store. I found that when I used differing brands on the same box I got some crazeing. 52 and I still can't spell. I think you'll get the picture though.
I just sand the boxs, clean with alcohol, preferably not the home brew stuff apply thin coats and hope for the best.

Grey Paper.

cnelsonplumber

Thanks for all the replies and good will.

I will use the 'Hammerite' paint i used for the garage door which, this is an awesome blue and will look smart. Currently looking at 'Letraset' for the decals. Tell me if I am being a little OTT about this  :-\

The kit is from a UK supplier Jed and it is a TS808, although it says ,Tubescreamer' on the board. Probably one board will suit many pedals I guess.

I have taken a picture of the kit and will document the build for fun. My youngest (9yrs old) will no doubt want to help as she is writing code on her PI already.  :icon_biggrin: I need to read up on how to add pictures to the thread now as it's been years since I last used a forum.
:)

stallik

Welcome Chris. I started with hammerite on my first boxes. Good finish but it kept chipping off right down to the bare metal. Probably a bad choice of primer but you may want to check that out. My boxes seem to come with a coating and I get best results by sanding the box well before starting.

So your daughter is coding already. There's a digital section here so,feed that interest. It may help you in the future :)

Good luck with the tubescreamer
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

EBK

Letraset, eh?  You have a lot more patience than me.  You may also consider waterslide decals.  If you print out a decal the full size of your enclosure top, you can blend the edges to invisibility through clear coating and sanding.
  • SUPPORTER

cnelsonplumber

Think I will take your advice Erik. I have just bought a couple of clear sheet from a well known on line auction site  :icon_rolleyes:

Kipper4

"well known on line auction site"
Does it have an E in it? :)

Grey Paper.

Mark Hammer

I use Letraset, largely because I always liked the simple visual design of MXR pedals, and because I bought a large stash of the stuff when an art-supply house near work was getting rid of their stock for pennies on the dollar/Euro

Depending on the age of the rub-on lettering, I find that it helps to spray a light coat of laquer on the box first, to give the lettering some traction to make up for it's loss of stickiness.  Once rubbed on, then one applies additional coats as fixative and protection.

Typically, the only use most people here would have for heatsinks would be for either voltage regulators being pushed near their limit, and power-amp chips.  It is rare that any effect circuit would draw enough current to get hot enough to require a heatsink.

Since you're starting with a kit, many of the decisions have already been made for you.  Should you decide you like making your own pedal as a hobby, you'll find that one of the challenges is planning out the physical location of things in the chassis.  Are the jacks situated where they leave enough space for the other necessaries?  If I locate my footswitch there will I risk stepping on the toggles?  Will the angle of stepping cause the pedal to flip over? Will I have forfeited space that could be used for adding functions?  and so on.  All of that will come.  Just keep your eyes open for it.

Welcome.  You've found an extremely hospitable form.

cnelsonplumber

Quote from: Kipper4 on December 01, 2016, 02:12:39 PM
"well known on line auction site"
Does it have an E in it? :)

That's the one