Toggle Between Three Pots with Momentary Switch

Started by nickbungus, December 02, 2016, 10:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickbungus

Hi guys

I'm sure this is a dead easy one.  If you see the YouTube clip below the guy is testing treble boosters using three different volume settings on his guitar every time, which is sort of giving him a Clean and Overdrive and a Lead/Distortion. 

I'm not one to mess with my volume control so I was thinking of doing this with a momentary foot switch which would toggle between 3 channels each with their own volume pot before going into a treble booster.  I suspect there's some sort or IC/Chip I can use but I couldn't find anything (probably because I dont know what I am searching for).

Any ideas on the best way to achieve this?

Thanks as always

To the extreme, I rock a mic like a vandal.
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.

Mark Hammer

http://hammer.ampage.org/files/quadsequentialswitch.pdf

An old circuit that uses a 4017 chip to step through a series of choices in round-robin fashion.  It's drawn for 4, but could be used for 3...or 5, 6, etc.
Most FET-switched options presume only two states.  Incorporating a counter chip (4017) allows for each momentary press to select "next".

Ripdivot

I did a simple "preset" volume box years ago using 2 stomp switches. The first switch was for true bypass (full volume or where ever the guitar volume was set). The second switch selected between 2 volume pots.

In bypass mode you get full volume. When you engage the pedal the other switch provides 2 presets. Sold it to a friend probably 10 years ago and he still loves it. I just use the volume control on the guitar.

nickbungus

Thanks Mark and Ripdivot.

That seems to be a really good solution Ripdivot.  Having three pots isnt that necessary as the 3 channels would be full and 2 others.

I also found this which I found interesting
To the extreme, I rock a mic like a vandal.
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.