Wolfshirt (Foxx Tone Machine) Debug help

Started by cleverbeefalo, December 05, 2016, 10:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cleverbeefalo

Hi folks,

Been lurking for a few months. Really appreciate all the info people have provided for me to get into this deep hole of music electronics.

I've got a blatty/gating issue with Madbean's Wolfshirt: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Wolfshirt/docs/Wolfshirt_2015.pdf

Here are the readings I have for the transistors:

Q1: C--2.3 B--.76 E--.14

Q2: C--6.8 B--2.31 E--1.66

Q3: C--6.0 B--.88 E--.25

Q4: C--8.38 B--.08 E--0

Madbean's Recommended voltages are as follows:

Q1: C--2.27 B--.76 E--.15

Q2: C--7.5 B--2.27 E--1.65

Q3: C--7.12 B--.83 E--.22

Q4: C--7.94 B--.81 E--.2

It appears something is amiss around Q4, but I'm not sure exactly where to look or how to tell whether that transistor itself is bad. Can you guys help me diagnose this?

In the meantime, I will be triple checking my resistor values, especially surrounding Q4.

Cheers,
Zack

GibsonGM

Yes, Zack, I would check the resistor values...particularly that the voltage divider resistors didn't get put in opposite to how they should be (watch which one is going to +, 470K on top (yellow violet yellow), 47K on bottom (yellow violet orange)!), and check that all solder connections there are nice and solid. 

There should be just a bit less than 9V on the 'hot side' of the 470K, if not, something is wrong....
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

cleverbeefalo

Thanks a bunch, Mike!

Upon further inspection, I found I had put a 4.7k resistor where the 47k should have been. Seems like the voltage divider values were off after all!

Thanks again!

-Zack

thermionix