Queen of Bone 2 (King of Tone Clone) Right Side No Sound

Started by natron_mn, December 06, 2016, 01:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

natron_mn

I could use some help troubleshooting. I've built a Rullywow Queen of Bone 2 (King of Tone clone), and I am not getting any sound out of the right side (input side, pictured top here). The LED turns on, but the sound is completely muted. The left overdrive side works just fine and just as it should.

I don't know where to begin trying to solve the problem. I looked for solder bridges, but did not find any. I felt like this was a pretty clean build and was confident it would fully fire up, but no such luck.

I'm still new at DIY pedals, so about 1 out of every 2 pedals I build operates correctly right away. And with this particular pedal, I've built about 6 of them. I've actually had the same issue with a prior build, where the right side was completely silent. I was impatient with that one though and scrapped it for parts. I'm sure it's not a malfunction of the pcb - Rullywow's seem to be pretty solid. I'm sure it's an error I'm making, but I can't tell what it is.

So please help point me in the direction of what to test next. With no sound, do I want to test voltages, or continuity first? Or neither?

thermionix

Sorry I can't be of much help, I'm not familiar with the circuit.  I'm sure someone will ask if you have audio probed it.

But do I see 1S1588s in there?  If so, were those specified for this circuit?

natron_mn

No problem, thanks for lookin'!

Yeah, those are 1S1588s and MA858s (couldn't find MA856s but I believe they are nearly identical?), both specific to the original King of Tone. And this pcb is a near-exact copy of that circuit, to my knowledge.

Here is the link, and it might provide more insight for troubleshooting.

http://www.rullywow.com/product/queenofbone2/

jimilee

Have you swapped the 4558s between the two sides to see if that's bad? Take voltage readings and compare the two sides. Audio probe will also be handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

natron_mn

Good thinking. I'll take a look at that. I wouldn't be surprised, since I got the 4558s from Tayda.

Will I get voltage readings if there is a short in the circuit? Or does that depend on if the short is before or after the IC?

jimilee

Quote from: natron_mn on December 06, 2016, 01:51:18 PM
Good thinking. I'll take a look at that. I wouldn't be surprised, since I got the 4558s from Tayda.

Will I get voltage readings if there is a short in the circuit? Or does that depend on if the short is before or after the IC?
Maybe and maybe not depending on the issue

thermionix

Quote from: natron_mn on December 06, 2016, 01:39:42 PM
Yeah, those are 1S1588s and MA858s (couldn't find MA856s but I believe they are nearly identical?), both specific to the original King of Tone. And this pcb is a near-exact copy of that circuit, to my knowledge.

Cool, good to see someone going for that level of detail.  I have a handful of them for tube screamer purposes, had to order them from overseas because I couldn't find any in the US.  Many would say just use 1N4148s, but there is a difference, however small.

Good luck with the fix, I'm sure you'll get it figured out!

Mojah63

I had some problems with that build too. Reflowing all the solder connections fixed them.
Paul

So many circuits, So little time

natron_mn

I don't even want to tell you what it was...!

I forgot to solder the IC socket into the pads. I had soldered just one pad to keep it in, but forgot to go back and solder the remaining pads.

So, that fixed it!

natron_mn

Quote from: thermionix on December 06, 2016, 08:22:45 PM
Quote from: natron_mn on December 06, 2016, 01:39:42 PM

Cool, good to see someone going for that level of detail.  I have a handful of them for tube screamer purposes, had to order them from overseas because I couldn't find any in the US.  Many would say just use 1N4148s, but there is a difference, however small.

Good luck with the fix, I'm sure you'll get it figured out!

Yeah, ordered them from overseas as well. The 1S1588s aren't too hard to come by and are still fairly cheap. This was my first build using the MA858s and 1S1588s. I built about four before using all 1N4148s. I haven't a/b'd them yet, but so far they all have been solid overdrives!

Thanks all for bearing with me as I realized my mistake! I measured the voltages of the two ICs, and the voltages on the unsoldered IC were all reading about 17V, where as the correct IC varied between 9V and 18V, depending on the pin. So that helped narrow it down.

I'm hoping for another "misbuild" with a more difficult problem to spot, in the spirit of learning.

jimilee

Nice, both boards?

natron_mn

jimilee

I'm sorry, I thought it said you built two boards and they both did the same thing.

natron_mn

Ah, yep. I built another one that had the same problem - one side worked, the other didn't.

Unfortunately I was impatient and scrapped that board for parts. So I'll never know what went wrong! I wasn't too careful removing the parts, so the board is mostly unsalvageable.