Aion Ross Compressor Clone/General Grounding Question

Started by natron_mn, December 09, 2016, 11:20:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

natron_mn

I recently finished a build of a Ross Compressor clone by Aion Electronics (more info here https://aionelectronics.com/project/aurora-ross-dyna-compressor/). It was working fine outside of the enclosure, but when I had it inside the enclosure, it would only work if either the dc jack was mounted, or the input jack, but not both. The LED would not turn on in the non-functioning scenarios.

I decided to use a thin, metal barrel jack for the first time as opposed to the usual, bulkier plastic ones. I don't know if that made a difference. Anyway, if I had the dc jack mounted and the power supply plugged in, and then tried to mount the input jack, the entry point of the input jack would start to spark.

After a few more attempts at mounting everything, when I powered up the pedal again it shut off completely, and wouldn't work even outside of the enclosure anymore. And it smelled like something was burning, but I didn't see any smoke or scorch marks and none of the components felt hot.

Long story short, do these symptoms sound familiar? I can attach a picture of the wiring when I get home, but I thought this sounded like a general grounding question rather than a specific circuit question.

Do I have to start over from scratch with the board and new components? And, have a ruined my $5 CA3080 ic?!

banjerpickin

I just finished building this exact board...upload some photos of the guts and we'll see what can be done!
Almost always testing Cunningham's law.

PRR

> metal barrel jack for the first time

Order plastic jack. Meanwhile do NOT connect metal jack to chassis. The mounting metal seems to be wrong polarity for this application.

Proceed with the Debugging sticky-note at the top of the forum. Start with voltages from common to D1, LEDR, C14 etc.... is 9V and zero V getting through?

• SUPPORTER