Another oscillation post on BB Preamp inspired pedal...

Started by bendeane, December 09, 2016, 03:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bendeane

Okay guys and gals,
Been away building and testing for awhile...I've built about 5 of the BB Preamp/Madbean Glitterrattii pedals (modified in a few spots for my liking) and I feel like I've been killing it with what I've been learning over the past few months.  They've all been built based on the Vero layout found here http://revolutiondeux.blogspot.com/2012/01/xotic-bb-preamp.html and they've all sounded killer both in the studio and live...

My 6th one is giving me fits and I'm about to toss it in the scrap build pile, but wanted to run a few things by you before I give up.

They've all been built almost identically in regards to off board wiring, pot brand, switch brand, jack style and brand (especially the last 3 were extremely consistent in their builds), etc. etc.  Well, my 6th one oscillates, and not like the oscillation I had trouble with when I was first getting started...my initial prototype builds would oscillate with the gain, treble and volume maxed.  This was a PCB layout issue from me being a rookie and I've been going the vero route for now.  This 6th one oscillates with the gain max and volume up a certain level and turning the bass and treble pots both change the frequency of the oscillation.  The one and only difference is the wire I used.  I had been using some decent pre-tinned and pre cut hookup wire and this last build I used some new copper wire off a spool and tinned the ends myself after cutting to size (all wire has been 22-24 AWG stranded). 

I've check and rechecked solder joints, cuts, jumpers and everything.  Haven't boxed this one yet, but assuming just that won't make a difference as my test environment has been pretty consistent for each build.  The wire isn't what I would call cheap, just not primo stuff either.  When I was checking for cold joints with a small pair of tweezers, when I would make contact with the input or a few different rows (row 4 in particular) the oscillation would subside a bit.  Also, if I reduced R16 (a 47K is called for) down to 4.7k I get it to subside as well...changing the feedback loop caps (C3 and C9) up to 151 or 200p help some, but I don't want to change the characteristics of this too much from the other builds.

Any suggestions or should I just rewire it with better wire or move on to the next build?