JHS Charlie Brown Schematic

Started by POTL, December 10, 2016, 07:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POTL

Hello
Does anyone have the schematic of this pedal?
Many believe that it is a clone BOR but as shown by the comparison of components values are very different
Maybe someone can share a photo of the Board with two sides or a ready-made scheme
Just wondering what transistors are mounted on the pedal

POTL

GibsonGM

Have you searched the net, high and low? That's usually where you might uncover something like this, on page 24 or something ;) 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

POTL

I searched the internet far and wide
nothing

Ben Lyman

"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

POTL

Nope Bsiab and CB are not similar structurally, vivid examples Bsiab is Catalinbread and Wampler pedals.
Please do not believe in this nonsense - articles like the one you sent me the first link is the message people for the most part does not understand the device effects or just haters.
Regarding the second link I wrote in the first post that compared the filling BOR and DISTORTRON CB and the values of the components differ.

Ben Lyman

Ah, yes, I see what you mean. Lotta hate out there in webworld. There are some pics of the inside showing all the components, I should think someone would be able to simply read the values with the naked eye and deduce the rest from there, eh?
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

POTL

Yes, but the presence of some components without schemes or traces do not provide a complete picture, I think you should understand it

GibsonGM

The trouble is that many things are under copyright, and it's illegal to share them on forums and so on.  It could actually get us shut down!  So your best bet is to hang by, maybe someone will send you a PM or something ;)  But openly posting copyrighted stuff is verboten, for good reason.

How old is the pedal, I haven't heard of it....
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

midwayfair

Quote from: POTL on December 12, 2016, 05:39:41 AM
Nope Bsiab and CB are not similar structurally, vivid examples Bsiab is Catalinbread and Wampler pedals.
Please do not believe in this nonsense - articles like the one you sent me the first link is the message people for the most part does not understand the device effects or just haters.
Regarding the second link I wrote in the first post that compared the filling BOR and DISTORTRON CB and the values of the components differ.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you know how the circuits differ, then you could re-draw the schematic instead of asking on the forum.

FSB probably didn't bother tracing it because they looked at it and said, "Yup, clone of ____" with some values changed, which is what most analog JHS pedals are. If FSB didn't trace it and you've already searched there, then certainly no one here did, and if the information you've already found isn't enough then you're going to have to buy one and trace it yourself.

As far as gutshots go, I found a half dozen of them in seconds on google.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

POTL

Quote from: GibsonGM on December 12, 2016, 10:51:09 AM
The trouble is that many things are under copyright, and it's illegal to share them on forums and so on.  It could actually get us shut down!  So your best bet is to hang by, maybe someone will send you a PM or something ;)  But openly posting copyrighted stuff is verboten, for good reason.

How old is the pedal, I haven't heard of it....

The copyright in this business thing rather conventional, over 90% of the effects are all copies(full or slightly modified) old effects or the new.
Schemes are also not patented, so there's nothing illegal there)

POTL

Guts is not schematic Bro  ;)
Without traces components is nothing.

GibsonGM

BRO, if you find a drawn copy of the JHS schematic, from the company/person who created it, and post it, you're violating copyright.  We've been over this a lot on here.   THEIR schematic would be copyrighted, yes.

If you redraw it yourself, and post it, it's not copyrighted.  If Joe Shmoe drew his and it's on his blog, and you re-post it, you're violating HIS copyright if you don't have permission.   Whether they would care is doubtful, esp. since this isn't intended to build stuff for sale (altho some DO, and some ppl get rightfully bent over it).

My wife is a professional photographer, we talk a LOT about this stuff, LOL....I didn't say a thing about gut shots - you asked for schematic first.  Altho some of THEM might be copyrighted too, LOL.   

Best bet is that someone has done this and posts it somewhere (google).  I'll trust what Jon says, that the structure is similar to some known stuff, so coming up with a good clone shouldn't be too hard.    Eventually someone WILL open one up, who knows electronics, and a clone will come out.
  • SUPPORTER

POTL

Guys, forgot to say, I could still build it
In general, this is ZVEX Box Of Rock but the first cascade is replaced, instead of Super Hard On there is installed AMZ Mosfet Booster

robthequiet

https://www.jhspedals.com/products/guitar-pedals/charlie-brown-2/

JHS posted a gutshot of their pedal themselves. All nice surface mount stuff, metal cans, etc  but too blurry to make out what.

For my tuppence, POTL, I would say listen to the pedal, live if possible, then try to deduce what it wound take to reproduce the sound yourself. Too many young people paying $400 for some hardware they could replicate the sound of with a couple of op-amp stages and FET buffers.

PS -- Wonder if they licensed the graphics and name from the current owners of the Peanuts brand, who coincidentally own the Teletubbies, DHX Media? The irony.

POTL

Hi, I'm talking about version 3

The fourth version has an active equalizer, very similar to that used in EQD Talons
I planned to build it, but after comparing the forehead with Marvel Drive made a choice in favor of the latter, its sound is much better

In general, I greatly respect this manufacturer, when I took the first steps in understanding the workings of the schemes, I studied a number of schemes. JHS found the originals and began to learn various mods for classical schemes
In any case, their projects are more interesting than the boring copying of RAT and MUFF adn Tube Screamer =)

GGBB

According to the other forum - SHO in front of BOR distortion section plus BSIAB2 tone stack with presence - roughly. They have a schematic.
  • SUPPORTER

POTL

If you are talking about FSB (I hope there is no prohibition to call other forums), then I laid out the scheme, it is very rough, as it was the first experience in the drawing program and the first foot pedal I took (at that time it was the second day in my life When I started to deal with effects and still confused resistors with capacitors and transistors, completely did not understand how it works LOL)
There is one mistake in it - in the modem block instead of the 100n capacitor, you need to set 10n
Otherwise, the circuit is 95% correct, unlike the original in 1 capacitor (if the memory does not change me, I do not remember what exactly I did not track)

In general, I have a lot of respect for Josh, especially for his approach to effects mods, I now create my products in a similar way LOL

POTL

By the way about the last cascade
R20 R21 C12 C13
As far as I remember in theory, it should reduce noise, in practice the noise decreases a little, but the amounts of high frequencies and the upper middle decrease, the attack deteriorates, and low frequencies and low midpoints increase, this is a huge minus that concerns not only this pedal, but also other , I would recommend to abandon it, the sound becomes much nicer

GGBB

Quote from: POTL on July 03, 2017, 05:48:30 PM

By the way about the last cascade
R20 R21 C12 C13
As far as I remember in theory, it should reduce noise, in practice the noise decreases a little, but the amounts of high frequencies and the upper middle decrease, the attack deteriorates, and low frequencies and low midpoints increase, this is a huge minus that concerns not only this pedal, but also other , I would recommend to abandon it, the sound becomes much nicer

It's a second order low-pass RC filter. The whole tone stack including that filter is taken straight from the BSIAB2, which was designed for getting "brown" sound from a bright (e.g. fender) amp. If you bypass that filter with the BSIAB2, things can get very very bright. Maybe the CB doesn't need as much taming as the BSIAB2.
  • SUPPORTER