Dummy load on amp into another amp

Started by mth5044, December 19, 2016, 11:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mth5044

http://www.solorb.com/elect/musiccirc/fuzznikator1/

I was having a looksie at the Fuzznikator on G. Forrest Cook's Solorb site and got the thinking. Can we use the same sort of idea, but copying over well known amp circuits. Replacing the power amp sections with the 12AX7 section on Solorb, or perhaps the single ended set up shown here:

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/experiments/chpt-5/vacuum-tube-audio-amplifier/

Could use something like a champ, supro 16t, vox ac4, etc etc. use the dummy load and turn the entire circuit into a sort of real tube amp pedal. The starve control from Solorb might also be interesting to add in.

Could also make for a good recording amp, straight into a DAW.

Thoughts? Thanks!

thermionix

You can use a dummy load and add a line out to any amp.  You can do both in an small external box that plugs into the speaker jack so no mods to the amp are needed.  Very simple.  If you're omitting the power amp section a dummy load won't be needed.  Or maybe I'm not understanding what you're asking.

PRR

A Champ-copy with dummy load, turn-down, and output is a Herzog, "American Woman".

If you want to load 12AX7 with a spark-coil, you can pick your own name for it.
  • SUPPORTER

mth5044

Quote from: thermionix on December 20, 2016, 01:16:28 AM
You can use a dummy load and add a line out to any amp.  You can do both in an small external box that plugs into the speaker jack so no mods to the amp are needed.  Very simple.  If you're omitting the power amp section a dummy load won't be needed.  Or maybe I'm not understanding what you're asking.

I've been doing some reading on guys like Page, Ronnie Wood and.. a lot(?) of guys using small amps cranked up. Thought it might be interesting to get everything pre-speaker self contained rather than emulate with transistors. Power amp wouldn't be exactly the same,  it maybe good enough.

mth5044

Quote from: PRR on December 20, 2016, 10:11:14 PM
A Champ-copy with dummy load, turn-down, and output is a Herzog, "American Woman".

I hadn't heard of the herzog before, interesting! Thank you!

bool

Quote from: PRR on December 20, 2016, 10:11:14 PM
That was poetic.

PRR

> That was poetic.

No, it seems to be what he was proposing.
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/experiments/chpt-5/vacuum-tube-audio-amplifier/

BUT, this plan puts the speaker at full B+ Voltage!!

You can not-touch a speaker, though you are asking for a serious shock.

You can NOT pass-on the "speaker" (or dummy load) signal to another chassis without additional complication.

The spark-coil should be left in the 1979 Ford where you found it. Get a "Fender Reverb transformer", the cheapest fully-safe tube audio output transformer.
  • SUPPORTER

mac

QuoteYou can use a dummy load and add a line out to any amp.  You can do both in an small external box that plugs into the speaker jack so no mods to the amp are needed.  Very simple.  If you're omitting the power amp section a dummy load won't be needed.  Or maybe I'm not understanding what you're asking.

I did it today, my Valve Jr into my Laney. Creamy and nasal, close to Spirit in the Sky tone. The 12 HH speaker does not help, too heavy.
I don"t have big resistors to drive hard the Epi with the Laney. But I have fx loop...

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84