Joining enclosures

Started by Mgt280y, December 20, 2016, 07:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mgt280y

Maybe a non starter but thought I'd ask
I'm building a looper from THC and doing the layout in a 1032L once the 5 footswitch and the 7 segment footswitch are in place there's not much foot space between them.
So just thinking
I could cut a 1590A to size approximately half its length and mount the 7 segment in that has anyone successfully or know how I can then join the two together (type of weld) I would prefer it to look like all one enclosure rather than 2 bolted together I will post a pic of what I am thinking if anyone has any solutions thanks all

GibsonGM

Well, maybe someone has a brainstorm on this, but if you're using aluminum enclosures, welding aluminum is some of the most difficult welding out there.  I think it's TIG, not something us farm folks can do.   And the joint is visible.

Other options are to build or obtain a custom steel enclosure that's bigger...I think Jameco has some...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Tony Forestiere

"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

EBK

Join them with some JB Weld and sand the seam smooth.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Mgt280y

Never used jb weld would it hold up or not crack on the joint I maybe about to machine a joint to connect them to give so mechanical strength then fill/smooth the joint with some thing like jb

EBK

Quote from: Mgt280y on December 20, 2016, 07:40:50 PM
Never used jb weld would it hold up or not crack on the joint I maybe about to machine a joint to connect them to give so mechanical strength then fill/smooth the joint with some thing like jb
I imagine that any mechanical help you give it will be a good idea. 
  • SUPPORTER

Mark Hammer

Check out some of ZVex's boxes.  He joins 1590B boxes sometimes.

deadastronaut

in the UK we have 'chemical metal'

i think it's our version of jb weld.............as far as i know..
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

amptramp

If you join cast aluminum boxes, you have to be aware of the draft angle that allows the chassis to be pulled from the mold.  This may be as large as 5 degrees, so you would have an included angle of 10 degrees between sections.

For this number of stompswitches, some people have used rectangular tubing or extrusions such as heat sink extrusions with flat sheet end caps.  This allows you to select a length and use a cutoff saw to get that dimension where you want it.

StephenGiles

A thick tough rubber band did the job for me!

Gaffa tape is another good solution.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

EBK

Quote from: StephenGiles on December 22, 2016, 03:12:01 AM
I smile every time I hear someone else mention gaffers tape (is "gaffa" a regional thing?).  People who use that inferior stuff called duct tape have no idea what they are missing.  :icon_cool:
Of course, trying to convince someone to upgrade from $1/roll to $30/roll is tough (I use ShurTape P-672).
  • SUPPORTER

GibsonGM

Quote from: EBK on December 22, 2016, 06:12:13 AM
I smile every time I hear someone else mention gaffers tape (is "gaffa" a regional thing?).  People who use that inferior stuff called duct tape have no idea what they are missing.  :icon_cool:
Of course, trying to convince someone to upgrade from $1/roll to $30/roll is tough (I use ShurTape P-672).

Not for stompbox use, but if you like tape, you should check out 3M Flashing Tape some time.  ;)  It is extremely thin and pliable, but will bond to anything and NEVER come off.   Used for sealing around windows, flashings...if you own an old home, as i do, that stuff can SAVE you...yup, $30/roll.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

StephenGiles

The most sensible solution is a 1U rack unit surely!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

duck_arse

if it wuz mee, I'd put metal threads thru the 1032L thingy into the 1590 thingy, and then cut a little dress plate of shiny Al or something, to put around and cover the join. no-one need ever know, gaffer.
don't make me draw another line.

StephenGiles

Quote from: StephenGiles on December 22, 2016, 08:43:38 AM

But then I'm a rack unit man!

Ice-9

Yeah but it is hard to get your feet up there to stomp on those switches. :icon_twisted:
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Ice-9

Quote from: EBK on December 22, 2016, 06:12:13 AM

If something needs fixing GAFFA tape will do the job, I never go anywhere without a roll of gaffa tape with me. It can save lives.  :icon_cool: I'm talking proppa gaffa tape here not the shite that looks similar, sticks to nothing and doesn't tear properly. Real GAFFA tape for REAL men.     :icon_eek:
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

StephenGiles

Quote from: Ice-9 on December 22, 2016, 03:27:15 PM

Yeah but it is hard to get your feet up there to stomp on those switches. :icon_twisted:

Not a problem - rig up a footswitch in your favourite tiny box.

tubegeek

Quote from: StephenGiles on December 22, 2016, 02:05:08 PM
But then I'm a rack unit man!

That's that Howlin' Wolf song The Doors covered, right?
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

davepedals

You could even pop rivet the enclosures together with a small section of aluminum on the inside and then like some others said use the JB Weld filling the seams and sand smooth.
Dave
dave