donner pedals

Started by Fndr8875, December 22, 2016, 07:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fndr8875

Just wondering if anyone has tried any of these little 1590a pedals. I grabbed the delay, the yellow fall about 6 months ago on amazon prime for 27$ bucks. I have built a madbean cavedweller i was using at the time, (on vero not an actual madbean pcb), but it drastically darkened my tone so i figure well 27 bucks , get it in two days, and can always return it if it sucks, despite very high reviews. anyway its really nice in my opinion. Think youd be hard pressed to find any 1590a that just feels solid , has some weight to it and doesnt feel cheap. The prices fluctuact up and down on the donner stuff, saw the yellow fall for 54$ the other day. Any way i cannot find anything in terms of schematics, gut shots on any of the donner line. Ive read stuff like there repackaged mooer stuff, which didnt make sense to me cuse those pedals or more expensive. Any way just curious if anyone can point me in the direction of any tech info. Im hesitant to take it apart because i havent made it to point where id try to build a 1590a and its got to be smd stuff and that wouldnt help me cuse i havent ventured there yet either. I did get a killer magnavibe etched and built tonight, got it hooked up to test rig and cant wait to get it boxed up later. built it on a whim, found a few transfers i had printed out, have been obseessed with EQD hummingbird build, had it working few days ago then it crapped out, starting to think those tayda sockets are the culprit of many bulds gone wrong or were problematic. Once i ditched the photocell sockets and soldered it in, it started working flawlessly, i have a 10mm super bright white led that is what is used on the commercial circuit but seems it crapped out, so 5mm red led and largest radioshack photocell and viola. went off topic but anyway. Im looking for switching mod after this post, i know there is one but not sure what it does.Ill prob go ahead and re etch the hummingbird and redo that tonight, just cant let that 2n2646 just sit there considering it cost me like 10 bucks with shiping. anyway,, donner schematics anyone? lol my post are terribly random, i just normally have like 5 things going on when i get around to posting..thanks for any replies..

midwayfair

Despite your skepticism, they are basically repackaged Mooer. There are a dozen or more companies doing the same thing.

Here's what happened: Mooer set up production producing 1590A copies of popular effects, especially Boss and MXR stuff. Then at least one company got a hold of their layouts --- OR some less-than-scrupulous factory sold the layouts to others --- and copies of the copies started coming out. Donner is one of those.

Just to be clear, although Mooer was pretty shameless about copying circuits, they did do their own layouts and made modifications to the design. Their compressor was a copy of the diamond in a 1590A without the tone stack at a time when Diamond was struggling to get the same thing in a 1590B. And it's a good copy. Mooer has some QC though it's difficult to say exactly how good it is.

Mooer also used to be the same prices you're seeing. The reasons they went up are complicated, but part of it is the QC and part of it is the refusal of the American market to believe that they're anything but trash when sold at the prices they were sold at. They also aren't making any money when they sell them for $27. It's not like materials are free just because the supply factories are closer to them and in the same country.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

digi2t

I initially read "donor pedals", and thought this was to be a thread on a chorus on life support.

Sorry... carry on.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

midwayfair

Quote from: digi2t on December 22, 2016, 01:56:25 PM
I initially read "donor pedals", and thought this was to be a thread on a chorus on life support.

Sorry... carry on.

Hey, at least it's not about the Donner party.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Ice-9

Quote from: midwayfair on December 22, 2016, 03:20:39 PM
Quote from: digi2t on December 22, 2016, 01:56:25 PM

Sorry... carry on.

And I thought I was in for a beer and a KEEBAB   :icon_confused:
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

blackieNYC

[/quote]
[/quote]

I'd left my pedal case out in the car for the whole freezing cold night. When I finally got them inside and opened it, there was only one little 27$ pedal left. And some knobs and wire.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers