Opinions on a project..

Started by Teddeeh, December 25, 2016, 10:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teddeeh

Hi guys and gals
I am building myself a psuedo flyrig i.e a looper box with several pedals in. I may ask for help with that but for now i have a smaller version that i am making.
My opinion is what should go in?
So heres the thoughts i am going with. I need something that i can take anywhere and plug into any amp and get a variety of workable sounds. I dont really use effects anymore so the need primarily is tone.
I am thinking
Input> boost> overdrive> distortion> delay > out. Most likely with a buffer inthere as i goddamn am in love with buffers (the missing link for me for years, i wont ramble aboot it.)

I have though in order to free up a slot thought about finding an oversrive that can range from light od to heavy distortion. Proberly the mxr gtod. For delay maybe the circuit for the deep blue delay or the wampler faux analog echo.
What do you think i should use? Specific circuits, any modulation? Think of it as a blank canvas.
Many thanks in advance for anyone who wants to suggest things and merry christmas to you all!!!

blackieNYC

I'm a big fan of multiple effects boxes, as long as you can find the right box. (You do need to consider the distance between stompswitches)
A boost is good, but if you want it for higher volume for a solo, I'd put it at the end. You could distort your delay, and if it is before a distortion of some kind it will give you more distortion but not more volume. 
Something that does a nice mild overdrive is great, and for flexibility - something you can get a lot of drive out of is easy. A distortion with diodes in the feedback loop like a tube screamer, and switchable clipping diodes like a MXR dist+ (maybe that is two pedals, maybe it's one?).
A silicon fuzz classic.  FF or Tonebender.
A metal sound - which you could get the MXR dist+ to do,
A big muff would be a a nice weapon.
I'm with you - a delay would be a must. 
So two or three dirt pedals, a delay, what else?
  A compressor, if you like to use one as a clean(-ish) effect.
  If you play the kind of music that needs/allows such a thing, I would encourage you to consider something a bit wacky too. A sound only a DIY builder is likely to have - like a uglyface or a simple ring modulator, or one of the Escobedo circuits. 
  A graphic EQ, even a two or three band EQ, can give you more sound variety than a fistful of fuzzes.  A narrow bump for this song, a notch for that song - everybody overlooks the magic of an EQ.
  The boost at the end. If you solo. And if you solo, I don't see how one can get by without one.

- build the effects individually (but you can certainly share a 9v supply). This way if you get tired of one you can replace it someday. 
-I've built a couple things like this and for some reason I don't feel like putting modulators of any kind in there. Not sure why. They can be such a project - maybe they are best in their own box.
- maybe you can find some discarded electronic chassis and throw out the guts.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers