Tayda's guv'nor

Started by Mgt280y, December 26, 2016, 05:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mgt280y

Evening all, I built one of taydas guv'nor pcb and really pleased with it works a treat with a really good tone, only question is the suggested pots
Bass 10ka
Mid 10ka
Treb 10kb

Vol 100kb
Gain 100kb

Now build as per there Bom it sounds great, but I was always under the impression vol should always be log pots ?

GibsonGM

Apparently not *always*, Mgt!!   

In the Guv'nor, it IS actually a B taper pot.  Perhaps because of interaction with the tone stack, or the resistor on its output, maybe?  Seems to operate fine, anyway...I"d actually like more info on why that's so, if anyone knows!
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

thermionix

I've never played a Gov'nor, does the volume come up really fast?  Tube Screamers use a linear volume pot, and unity volume is somewhere around 9:00, maybe lower.  I used audio taper in my SoS build and unity is more like 11:00, depending on gain obviously.

antonis

Quote from: GibsonGM on December 26, 2016, 06:02:17 PM
Perhaps because of interaction with the tone stack, or the resistor on its output, maybe?
Hmmmm....

The resistor on its output forms a low pass filter with the 470pF at about 15kHz so it shouldn't play a role of "altering" pot's taper
(from Lin to Log)..

Tonestack pots are already Log type but they also shouldn't interact with Level pot, as long as they aren't adjusted simultanesly..

So Sir, don't you presume that it's time for an extra cup of coffee (or beer/spirit perhaps)..??  :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

Quote from: antonis on December 28, 2016, 06:29:03 AM
Quote from: GibsonGM on December 26, 2016, 06:02:17 PM
Perhaps because of interaction with the tone stack, or the resistor on its output, maybe?
Hmmmm....

So Sir, don't you presume that it's time for an extra cup of coffee (or beer/spirit perhaps)..??  :icon_wink:

No, it's usually time for me to get lazy and let someone else tell me why they think the post is not log-type ;)   I'm too old to re-build it, change it and see what happens...that's why I asked for more info, Antonis! 

Yeah, I can see (by thinking for 5 seconds) that the load on the vol. pot won't change just by changing the pot's taper, LOL! 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

antonis

Quote from: GibsonGM on December 28, 2016, 10:17:37 AM
I'm too old to re-build it, change it and see what happens...
Not old enough to avoid suggest me the use of a simple booster at the end of my Guv'nor - which resulted in a stolen by my son pedal..!!  :icon_wink:

:beer: :beer: :beer:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

Quote from: antonis on December 29, 2016, 08:05:03 AM
Quote from: GibsonGM on December 28, 2016, 10:17:37 AM
I'm too old to re-build it, change it and see what happens...
Not old enough to avoid suggest me the use of a simple booster at the end of my Guv'nor - which resulted in a stolen by my son pedal..!!  :icon_wink:

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Ha ha ha! I am a BIG fan of using a Mosfet boost after common pedals...but not before them, usually...
  • SUPPORTER