Behringer true bypass vd-1 and vtm help..... please?

Started by modelmonster, December 29, 2016, 05:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

modelmonster

Hi i am new  to the  group and  new to modding..I am looking for a true bypass  guide or layout pics for  the vintage distortion vd-1 and the vintage time machine,,I like both these  pedals but really want them true bypass.. i have  searched and  searched but can only find a  guide  for the  phaser.. thanks  in advance  .. this  will be  my first mod,,, thanks!!!

antonis

Hi and wellcome...  :icon_biggrin:

When you say "true" bypass do you mean "completely true" or "fake true"..??  :icon_wink:

First is easier to obtain with only a DPDT switch, with just connecting jacks IN & OUT to middle lugs and Effect IN & OUT to upper (or lower) lugs with the remaining lugs short-circuited.

If you want an optical indicator for On-Bypass state, you need a 3PDT switch with the 3rd column of lugs wired for LED activation.
(or a DPDT switch with Millenioum parts..)

To get more complicated, you have to place an anti-pop resistor (1M or so..) from PCB Input to GND.
(Output is constantly grounded via Volume pot in your VD-1)

For more anti-pop security, you have to wire your switch in a way that, when pedal is bypassed, PCB IN (and optionally OUT) is(are) grounded.

For extreme anti-pop security, you can wire your switch LED with an extra resistor & capacitor (besides it's current limit resistor)

If you decide which option you want, we'll post some relative wiring diagrams.. :icon_wink:

P.S.
I intentionally left "fake bypass" case out because here is almost raki (or tsipouro) time..  :icon_biggrin:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

modelmonster

I guess fake? i have  a 9 lug 3dpt switch.. thanks  for  the  reply!
:icon_biggrin:

antonis

Actually, with 3PDT you'll have trully true by-pass..  :icon_biggrin:

My photobucket is crashed so do some search for "3PDT wiring" or so.. :icon_wink:

Here are some wiring ways with IN & OUT grounding:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=113825.msg1055224#msg1055224

If it seems too complicated, just short the upper left & middle lugs, middle left to Jack IN, lower left to PCB IN, middle center to Jack OUT, middle lower to PCB OUT, middle right to GND & lower right to LED Cathode..
(leave upper right empty..) 
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Ice-9

True bypass isn't all it is said to be , unless you have a real explanation as to why you need true bypass then I suspect you don't really need it other than being told it is needed. I am not being a protagonist just wondering your real question about TB.

As Shakespeare might have said..... TB or not TB ? That is the Question.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

modelmonster

When i plug  in the  pedal (with pedal off)it kills  my high end..

bluebunny

Quote from: Ice-9 on January 02, 2017, 10:56:53 AM
As Shakespeare might have said..... TB or not TB ? That is the Question.

As R.G. would remind us, these days it's much ado about nothing...

(Exit stage left, carrying coat...)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...