Line 6 - Echo Park Tap Tempo Mod - HELP Please

Started by riverasampayo, January 03, 2017, 01:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riverasampayo

Hi,  I just started a forced mod on my Echo Park (since I "accidentally" damaged the mechanical switch housing and it became loose...).  I removed the mechanical temporary switch.   I plugged the pedal back to the chain and the power and now it is not working).  What could possibly be wrong now?  Thanks in advance.

JerS

I think it would help to have some photos so we can see what you are talking about.

Cheers - Jeremy

GGBB

What doesn't work? No power? No sound? No effect? Noisy? When did it stop working - when you removed the switch or when you rewired the jack? Have you changed anything else? Have you tried anything else?
  • SUPPORTER

riverasampayo

Answers
What doesn't work? No output signal and no Tempo Signal (Led)  No power? No power (used different sources on my board No sound? No Sound No effect? No Effect Noisy? Not a sound When did it stop working - when you removed the switch or when you rewired the jack? I did not rewired as this is installed through a 12 Pin connection to the Module I basically removed the switch and put it back together (no wiring requried). Have you changed anything else? No Have you tried anything else? Removed and re-insert the Module

GGBB

Quote from: riverasampayo on January 05, 2017, 09:29:32 PM
Answers
What doesn't work? No output signal and no Tempo Signal (Led)  No power? No power (used different sources on my board No sound? No Sound No effect? No Effect Noisy? Not a sound When did it stop working - when you removed the switch or when you rewired the jack? I did not rewired as this is installed through a 12 Pin connection to the Module I basically removed the switch and put it back together (no wiring requried). Have you changed anything else? No Have you tried anything else? Removed and re-insert the Module

No power means you shouldn't expect anything else to work, but I think you know that. Look for a fried diode or resistor connected to/near the power jack. There might be a power chip of some sort as well - charge pump or inverter/doubler or something - which could be fried, but the first thing to check is if the power actually gets through to any of the circuit and isn't shorting to ground (which should show up in other ways like a hot battery or blown up supply). I have an echo park which I can dig out if you need a comparative reference for something.

Another thing - I used to have problems with mine powering up (pedal board isolated supply). I'd basically stomp on it really good a couple of times and it would kick in. It never stopped on me - just sometimes (often actually) wouldn't start. It has  stopped doing that for a while now - may have been after I took it apart and reassembled it (because I couldn't think of anything else to try).
  • SUPPORTER

blackieNYC

Any LEDs at all?  I ask because IIRC there are some blinking LED error codes for this thing.  Tried to fix one once and gave up.  But there were lot of fixes posted online - maybe even where you found the mod?  Maybe a bit more Googlin' would turn up something?
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

riverasampayo

Ok, I found the problem.  The module connection (12 pin) was not sufficiently tight so some of the pins (I assume ) were not making contact.   It's working, but apparently (contrary from what has been written even in this forum threads) the switch I removed was the On/Bypass Switch.  Anyone have experience with the external tap mod for this pedal?

Thanks to all of you that responded previously.

GGBB

Quote from: riverasampayo on January 07, 2017, 08:58:36 AM
the switch I removed was the On/Bypass Switch.  Anyone have experience with the external tap mod for this pedal?

Now that makes a lot more sense!

I found the full thread of the mod here: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=2285#p15054 which is where one of your pic links came from. That post was about using a stereo jack to make both switches external and separate. The tempo jack connection is wired to the back side of the PCB in parallel with the tap tempo switch (must be a normally open switch). The tap tempo switch is SW3:

• SUPPORTER

riverasampayo

Well I think I Fixed my problem...External Tap/On Off Switch...