News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Bass Pedals

Started by Mgt280y, January 05, 2017, 05:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mgt280y

Good morning, can anyone recommend a compressor and a noise gate either combined (if exists) or two seperate pedals ideally with pcb available rather than perf or etch my own, nothing to fancy just need to work well with bass
Thanks all

Christmas out the way bring on pedal building :)

EBK

There are people who like the Orange Squeezer (stock or with a few minor mods) with bass, but I've tried it and didn't personally care for it.  Maybe a modded Ross compressor would work.  Search the forum for Ross bass mods.  Both of those are widely available in PCB form.  I have no personal experience with noise gates, though.

(The compressor I personally use with bass doesn't meet your design criteria....  :icon_neutral: ).
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

bluebunny

I don't see a reason why Merlin's "Engineer's Thumb" shouldn't work out of the box for bass.  Any reason for the noise gate?  You got a noisy bass?
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

MrStab

+1 on Engi's Thumb, lower noise & better headroom than the Ross.

i'm assuming that compressor hiss is your reasoning for the noise gate, Dan. while it would definitely be helpful to place a gate right after the comp, as you're not sending hiss to successive pedals, you'd have more flexibility with a separate unit if you are using other pedals.
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

jimilee

Quote from: bluebunny on January 05, 2017, 08:18:20 AM
I don't see a reason why Merlin's "Engineer's Thumb" shouldn't work out of the box for bass.  Any reason for the noise gate?  You got a noisy bass?
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mgt280y

Thanks everyone, with the engineers thumb is there a particular build / mod that is preferable i.e. Where should I source the pcb and Bom

287m

for starter, get directly here
http://valvewizard.co.uk/engineersthumb.html
mods?
for Enginer Thumb GTI, use forum search function or ask Merlin?
:icon_wink: