Designing enclosure decals?

Started by khm9, January 05, 2017, 07:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khm9

Hi,

I am trying to design a decal for 1590b in photoshop.

Problem for me is knowing where the drilled wholes are, so I cannot really know where to put things like text (tone, volume, etc.) as well as logo, for example above the switch.

So my questions are, what is the easiest way to design a decal for an enclosure? how to know where to put the wholes for pots, switch, jacks?
Are there any useful templates?
How do you do it?

EBK

I don't think it's necessarily the easiest, but I like Inkscape and the pedal builder's vector pack from OTRFX (links and an example are here):
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=116342.msg1076868#msg1076868
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

khm9

Quote from: EBK on January 05, 2017, 07:33:41 PM
I don't think it's necessarily the easiest, but I like Inkscape and the pedal builder's vector pack from OTRFX (links and an example are here):
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=116342.msg1076868#msg1076868
This is okay, but it doesn't tell you where to position the wholes, which is the hardest part, what method did you use to position the wholes in your build?

287m

photoshop guy?
oh please, you can get psd file in selfdestroyer site
http://music.codydeschenes.com/?page_id=2035
;)

EBK

Quote from: khm9 on January 05, 2017, 07:41:42 PM
Quote from: EBK on January 05, 2017, 07:33:41 PM
This is okay, but it doesn't tell you where to position the wholes, which is the hardest part, what method did you use to position the wholes in your build?
The vector pack contains to-scale drawings of each component, inside and out, and also contains scaled outlines of 1590B and 1590BB enclosures.  By dragging stuff around, you can see what fits where.

What type of control arrangement are you envisioning?  You may find a ready-made template out there somewhere if you are doing something common.
  • SUPPORTER

karbomusic

QuoteProblem for me is knowing where the drilled wholes are, so I cannot really know where to put things like text (tone, volume, etc.) as well as logo, for example above the switch.

That's why you want to do the label before you ever drill the holes, even make them part of the design which allows you to create a special layer (I call it 'punch') to mark the holes and print that out, leaving the rest of the label somewhat transparent. Take that and attach it to the box and drill through it which is marking the precise position of the holes for you. Later when you hide that punch layer, and print out the real label, the holes will match exactly. You can even leave the 'hole' on the final label for alignment, then just cut that out with an xacto after it is in place.

This is assuming you are placing a single label on the box which I generally encourage from an alignment standpoint.

Note: If you have already drilled the box and happen to have a cheap scanner around, just scan it and bring it into photoshop as a quick and dirty workaround. You'll have to do some resizing but by using the 1590B template mentioned above, that should be easy - I've been there. :)

bloxstompboxes

I make a drill template that I tape to the box and drill straight through. It's paper so who cares. Yes, we recycle so there is no waste here. From that template the final decal is made so everything already lines up.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

jfrabat

If youbalready drilled the wholes, and you have a scanner, simply lay the pedal in the scanner and scan it into photoshop.  I prefer illustrator for the graphics, but either will work.  With the pedal imported, design away.  When done, check the size by cutting the design on a piece of paper and laying it over the pedal.  Use backlighting to see if the holes align.  If need be, re-scale in photoshoo to get the exact measurement.
I build.  I fix.  I fix again.  And again.  And yet again.  (sometimes again once more).  Then I have something that works! (Most of the time!).

Beo

Print out your first draft on paper, overlay it on your pedal, and hold it up to a light so you can see through the holes. Measure or guestimate how much you need to adjust your design... print again and repeat.

deadastronaut

as stated, use the vector pack.  8) 8) 8) its essential

put a 1mm dot in the centre of ALL your pots/switches/leds etc...

use those dots to centre punch...(always centre punch) then drill small holes

this will guide the bigger drills later....stop slippage...

have fun. 8)

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

cloudscapes

For pedal projects I have a photoshop document that has both the decal I made and also the drill template, this way I know drill holes are in the right space.

I print out the drill template on regular paper, tape it to the enclosure, and just drill through it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

EBK

If you are looking for advice on control placement aesthetics, here is a rule that I use for placing a row of pots:
Knowing the diameter of the knobs I will be using and the width of the enclosure, I space the holes such that the distance between two adjacent knob edges will be the same as the distance from the outermost knob edge to the enclosure edge (if you love math  :icon_wink:).
Applying this method to four 0.5" knobs across a 1590BB looks like this:

(People who REALLY love math would find a way to work the golden ratio into that.  :icon_razz:)
  • SUPPORTER

bcalla

I use Inkscape to create my graphics.  Using layers you can pretty easily lay everything out.  You can hide / unhide layers & lock them to prevent unintentional changes once each layer is completed.

I put an image of the PCB in a dedicated layer, and print and resize it until it matches the scale of the actual PCB.  Usually I take the image from the build doc, but I use my scanner if that doesn't work for me.

Then I add a layer for the components using the pedal vector pack, lining up the components with the PCB layer.

Then I add a layer for externals - knobs, switches, LEDs.  Now I know where my graphics and text can go (these are also on their own layers).
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."
       -- Mark Twain

EBK

Quote from: bcalla on January 06, 2017, 09:42:27 AM
I use Inkscape to create my graphics.  Using layers you can pretty easily lay everything out.  You can hide / unhide layers & lock them to prevent unintentional changes once each layer is completed.

I put an image of the PCB in a dedicated layer, and print and resize it until it matches the scale of the actual PCB.  Usually I take the image from the build doc, but I use my scanner if that doesn't work for me.

Then I add a layer for the components using the pedal vector pack, lining up the components with the PCB layer.

Then I add a layer for externals - knobs, switches, LEDs.  Now I know where my graphics and text can go (these are also on their own layers).
+1
Layers are key.  Just wanted to add that creating guides (by dragging from the rulers at the edge of the screen) is pretty handy for lining everything up in the different layers.  Don't forget the drill template layer!
  • SUPPORTER

bcalla

Yes, good point.  I do create a drill template layer with a cross on every drill point. 

I didn't know about the guides feature you mentioned - I just tried it and it's pretty cool.  I always created yet another layer called 'alignment lines' that I could unhide when I was placing graphics and text
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."
       -- Mark Twain

davent

I do all the mechanical layout drill guide in a CAD program i'm fluent with then import that file into Inkscape to plan and letter the graphic elements.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

khm9

Thank you for all replies! :icon_mrgreen:

Quote from: jfrabat on January 05, 2017, 09:46:26 PM
If youbalready drilled the wholes, and you have a scanner, simply lay the pedal in the scanner and scan it into photoshop.  I prefer illustrator for the graphics, but either will work.  With the pedal imported, design away.  When done, check the size by cutting the design on a piece of paper and laying it over the pedal.  Use backlighting to see if the holes align.  If need be, re-scale in photoshoo to get the exact measurement.
This method may not be so clean, but I think it's the easiest and most convenient one.

So I think this may be a good method:
-drill the wholes using a drill template
-scan the pedal two get the positions of the wholes
-design the decal accordingly to the scan w/ taking into account diameters of the knobs (vector pack?)

or even maybe without using a scanner at all:
-design a decal with using a drill template as a guide to where the wholes are, as a separate layer

what do you think about this?