First Time Tube Screamer - No Audio - Debug Info. Please help!

Started by pgorey, January 05, 2017, 10:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pgorey

So much to learn!  Thanks Gibson!  This gives a really nice summary for me to choose the avenue of next dirt pedal.  Sorry, I've been offline for a week here due to work / life being a little crazy but got a little time to finish up my Tremendous Fuzz pedal.  Not to be bragadacious, but the dirt is very bigly ;)

Pic here:

http://imgur.com/a/NLZ9C

I'll be back soon once I finish the decals / enclosure for the screamer and have a finished product.  Thanks again and be back soon!

GibsonGM

Very nice, ha ha!! 

You're welcome, helping is what we do here, and soon you will also help new people! 

Enjoy the screamer!
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

pgorey

Yeah, I'm looking forward to getting to the point where I can lend a helping hand instead of just asking for help!  If you can teach something effectively, it likely means that you have a really good understanding of it and I definitely do not.  I can follow instructions though!  I'm on the fence regarding what to build next.  I really want to keep digging into different distortions that employ different gain /tone designs so I can understand those better but I also really want a compressor, reverb and delay pedal.  So many options!

duck_arse

You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

GibsonGM

Quote from: duck_arse on January 16, 2017, 08:46:50 AM
pedal not finished = false news.

FAKE news, Stephen, LOL!     

Pictures or it did not happen!!   :)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

duck_arse

You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

GibsonGM

Ah, pedal not built = false
Pedal built = true

pedal built >= true
  • SUPPORTER

banjerpickin

Almost always testing Cunningham's law.

pgorey

I'm really struggling with a graphic design on The TS / deciding on the right enclosure.  I'm tempted to use the same I used for the fuzz just to have real estate to space things out but most builders can put two or three screamers into an enclosure that big!  I am so impressed by how small the enclosures are that some builders squeeze these designs into.  Really good planning and execution for sure!

pgorey

Welp, I got the enclosure all drilled out, components installed and nicely soldered and there is no audio on output and my power transformer's LED drops in brightness when plugged in - no LED, no sound etc.   I'm guessing a short or multiple shorts from the JB weld (metal epoxy) that I accidentally dropped a dab of right onto the board when lining up the standoffs - DOH!  I thought I cleaned it off sufficiently, but there could be a small film over the area and since it has metal in the mixture, I think that could be the issue...
At this point, the board has been soldered / re-soldered so many times with so many lifted pads that I decided to order another board and start over...It's frustrating but I want this to work well over a decent period of time and look good too.  I also ordered parts to build an Orange Squeezer simultaneously but am being heavily tempted by Merlin's Engineer's Thumb - really cool design.  Anyway, I'll be back in a week after the parts arrive and I have another go at it.  Insert sad trombone sample...

bluebunny

What DC jack are you using?  Hopefully not one of those shiny metal ones...
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

pgorey

The ones from small bear that have 2 plastic washers / spacers to keep it from shorting on the enclosure.  I wish that was the issue!  I have committed to rebuilding just to clean up the build and get the soldering  practice :)

pgorey

Ok, rebuilt this pedal and everything worked first power up this time around including the foot switch and LED in the enclosure.  I'm powering from a Morley 300mA transformer and no battery.  Though I'm pleased with the fact that is works and looks decent, I'm second guessing the dirt amount.  I don't have my original TS9 to compare to but a quick youtube demo shows TS9s that just seem to have more distortion available.  What I have built sounds great but it's almost like a loud booster pedal with a little bit of dirt, tone and post volume control.  I built the TS9 / asymmetrical version from Tonepad and though we have discussed different diode options in this thread, shouldn't the pedal have more drive stock?  I have a 500k pot in as specified for the drive.  Would a 1M open up more distortion headroom?  Is it just the diodes that create the dirt?

pgorey

Hey guys, I thought I had posted this but here is the completed pedal.  I ended up modding the circuit a bit to get the higher gain and cleaner gain at the lower side of the pot.  Replaced two resistors and one cap - allows the pedal to distort at around 320hz instead of 720 and passes more bass in general.  Gain sounds about 3 x as dirty with the mod from here:

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/5_DIY_Mods_to_Perfect_Your_Ibanez_TS9_and_Boss_SD-1?page=4

Here's the new pedal:

http://imgur.com/a/4Jrjp

bluebunny

Good job.  (I like Cape Cod.)  That's one hell of an LED!  You might need these:

;)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...