iOS iPad or iPhone delay idea

Started by Chris S, January 07, 2017, 08:37:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris S

So... after listening to my PT2399 pedal I was wishing for something a little more hi-fidelity.

So I had this idea of using effects on an ipad but only running the wet (delay signal) through the ipad.
1. Run the guitar signal through a splitter blender.
2. One signal is kept as the dry undigitised signal and a second signal is sent to to an iDevice via some kind of interface
3. On the iDevice the signal runs through audiobus then into a delay app like Tap Delay http://www.virsyn.net/mobileapp/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17&itemid=8 where I can mix out the initial dry signal and the ipad will only be sending out the wet echo signals.
4. This wet signal then get's mixed back with the dry signal that has just gone through the iDevice.

This idea isn't going to work for most effects but things like delay where you are basically keeping a dry signal and adding a wet signal it could work?

So my question is... What are the flaws in this idea? Obviously it won't be a super high end delay but it's got to be better than the PT2399 (as awesome as that little chip is)

blackieNYC

Sure, it would work.  I'm not familiar with the iRig stuff or that sturdy stompbox someone makes as an iPad controller, but the apps are there. And if the patch you select is not a "tape" or "analog" delay sim, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get full fidelity.
IMO, most digi fx are the kind of thing a DIY-er can purchase from a shop and not feel guilty.  Unless you hang out with those digital dsp guys.  Terrifying lot.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

PRR

What I've been saying for decades. In an era when cheap MP3 players have megabyte buffers, it is absurd to do musical delays in 1KB chips, even 32KB chips. A digital bit is the cheapest thing on the planet, why are nearly all audio delay products so stingy?

Yes, if you found an app to turn a common product into a delay, Do It!

If there is an Android app, TracFone was selling a basic Android for $69, no contract. Ah, not listed today, but they have these other trailing-edge Androids.
Alcatel Pixi UNITE  $29.99
    4" Touchscreen
    Android 6.0, Marshmallow
    Wi-Fi Capable
Alcatel onetouch Pixi Bond LTE  $29.99
    4.5" Touchscreen
    Android 5.1, Lollipop
    Wi-Fi Capable
Reconditioned MAXPATRIOT Android  $19.99
    Androidâ„¢ 4.1
    4" Touch Screen Display
    1.2 GHz Dual-Core Processor
    3G/Wi-Fi Capable

Again, you get the phone and pay no attention to registering it as a "phone". Be sure it does WiFi, introduce it to a wifi net, and download your apps.
  • SUPPORTER

stallik

I built an iOS guitar interface some time ago for use with MidiGuitar and sampletank. It works very well, 7 components, no battery. There is no signal mixing, just a footswitch to introduce the iOS device in series. Guitar in/iOS/guitar amp. Sound quality is excellent.
There's a whole host of iOS effects and amps available and many are free to try or free for the basic version.

This is the circuit - just added a bypass switch
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Chris S

Thanks all,

PRR I have some I devices not doing much that I can use which is why I wasn't thinking android but could easily use either platform. I'm assuming I'm not the only one who would like something better than the pt2399 but not as expensive or high quality as a time-line (especially as I don't use delay a lot)

Stallik, I've played around with some iOS effects and although I'm not a great player I got annoyed by the latency in the signal (even though it was small) and annoyed by the change in guitar tone too. Hence the idea of running the signal in parallel rather than in series.

stallik

Fair enough. There is always going to be some latency through the iOS device but if the software delay is set 100% wet and you blend it with the original, should sound cool. And you'd have the possibility of some seriously complicated long delays.

Might have a play myself but won't be for a week or so, off to Italy on business. Geofx has some mixers that will likely work.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

bancika

Quote from: stallik on January 08, 2017, 04:57:58 AM
This is the circuit - just added a bypass switch

still using DIYLC v1? Wow, that's awesome  :icon_eek:
What are you missing in v3 that has kept you from updating?
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

stallik

Ha ha. Not my layout, I just linked to the pic.

EBK

Quote from: PRR on January 08, 2017, 01:13:06 AM
What I've been saying for decades. In an era when cheap MP3 players have megabyte buffers, it is absurd to do musical delays in 1KB chips, even 32KB chips. A digital bit is the cheapest thing on the planet, why are nearly all audio delay products so stingy?
Paul, I can't help but think that this is a product of vintage-must-be-better mentality (drives me nuts) mutated into a crappy-must-be-better (or at least a crappy-is-good-enough) mentality.  I've seen far too many write ups claiming that high fidelity is "too unnatural sounding." I feel such thinking (or laziness) just gets in the way of progress, but that's just me complaining....
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

DavidRavenMoon

I have an iRig. It works really well. The reason you don't see many of these devices for Android is the latency. Only a few "pro audio" Android devices can do this stuff. The latency on iOS is pretty much in perceivable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SGD Lutherie
Hand wound pickups, and electronics.
www.sgd-lutherie.com
www.myspace.com/davidschwab

robthequiet

Ditto on the latency, even in ios, to run a complex signal chain to you have to set the buffers pretty high. For solo guitar it's pretty good. I recommend the AUFX series, they're light , cheap, and pro-quality. Better on iPad than iPhone, especially if you're old and your eyes are wacked, for the interface.