I'm an author!

Started by Mark Hammer, January 07, 2017, 05:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

Joel Korte of Chase Bliss got asked by Premier Guitar magazine to write a piece on bucket brigade chips, and very generously asked me if I would be interested in doing it.  He served as go-between with the mag editor, I had some back and forth with Shawn Hammond (the editor), and the article just got posted.  Shawn "punched it up" a bit in places, but it's mostly me. 

Longtime members here will probably already know much of what is included, and truly knowledgable folks will probably grumble about what's left out, but those starting from scratch will benefit.  For your reading pleasure:

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/25035-behind-the-bucket-brigade?page=2&utm_campaign=PGN+-+010717&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_term=PG+Weekly

Rob Strand

Very cool Mark, congratulations!
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

stallik

Good read Mark. Well done and thankyou
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

armdnrdy

Great read Mark!

I recall you writing articles for another publication some years ago...slips my mind at the moment.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

radio

Love Premier Guitar , glad you are now part of it! :)
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

phaeton

Awesome, Mark!  Congratulations!
Stark Raving Mad Scientist

vigilante397

You're famous! Very cool, great read. Thanks! ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

armillary

Thank you Mark! Very useful information!

bool

Now that you're famous, can we now get your autograph, please?

... heh ... heh ... :P

GibsonGM

Awesome, Mark!  Congratulations!  :)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Kipper4

Congratulations Mark. Nice one..
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

rutabaga bob

Two thumbs up!  Hope this is just the first in a successful series!
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

R.G.

Mark, you're one of the few people I can think of who really ought to write a lot for publication, and doesn't yet.

Good on you for it!

And where's the next one? What's the hold up?    :icon_biggrin:

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

potul

Cool!   8) 8)
I have some reading for today.

Mark Hammer

Thanks for all the positive vibes, folks.  Much appreciated.

Larry, apart from some letters to the editor in Vintage Guitar, and my two paragraphs on the Guild Tri-Oct as one of the "25 weirdest guitar effects ever" in VG, the last thing I had in a music publication was an article in the last issue of Craig Anderton's DEVICE newsletter in 1979.  Prior to that it was a VERY long letter about violence in rock that got split into two consecutive pieces and inserted into the editor's column in Hit Parader magazine in 1968.  I like to space things out a bit, and let people build up an appetite.

Quote from: R.G. on January 08, 2017, 11:04:36 AM
Mark, you're one of the few people I can think of who really ought to write a lot for publication, and doesn't yet.

Good on you for it!

And where's the next one? What's the hold up?    :icon_biggrin:
I sent the editor an idea for a column that I think might be good for a year.  So we'll see.  I'm retiring in the fall, so I'll have more time for this stuff.
I forget, how long did your own column in PG go for?  I seem to recall it was for about a year or so.

wavley

That's awesome!!

I'm hoping a paper I wrote is soon to be published in Transactions on Microwave Theories and Techniques.  It's out for IEEE peer review now with it's very exciting and enticing title "A Cryogenic Low Noise Amplifier Optimized for Phased Array Feeds."  Not really our field, but it is a summary of the last two years of my day job life: designing, modeling, mechanical drawings, PCB layout, prototyping, revising, and building 20 dual channel amplifiers for the Green Bank Telescope.

I read so many fantastic posts around here from folks, I would love to see more of them get published kind of demystifying and de-mojoing pedals, proving to regular folks that it's not magic, it's knowledge and experience based with a really good helping of trial and error.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

armdnrdy

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 09, 2017, 08:24:39 AM
the last thing I had in a music publication was an article in the last issue of Craig Anderton's DEVICE newsletter in 1979.

That was the one I was thinking of. "The Intelligent Guitar" article.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Mark Hammer

Quote from: wavley on January 09, 2017, 09:48:12 AM
That's awesome!!

I'm hoping a paper I wrote is soon to be published in Transactions on Microwave Theories and Techniques.  It's out for IEEE peer review now with it's very exciting and enticing title "A Cryogenic Low Noise Amplifier Optimized for Phased Array Feeds."  Not really our field, but it is a summary of the last two years of my day job life: designing, modeling, mechanical drawings, PCB layout, prototyping, revising, and building 20 dual channel amplifiers for the Green Bank Telescope.
Now THAT's a publication.
After Mike Biegel shut down Musitronics in the 70's, he went on to publish stuff like that, primarily focussed on things like remote sensing of animals, if I'm not mistaken.

wavley

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 09, 2017, 11:07:55 AM
Quote from: wavley on January 09, 2017, 09:48:12 AM
That's awesome!!

Now THAT's a publication.
After Mike Biegel shut down Musitronics in the 70's, he went on to publish stuff like that, primarily focussed on things like remote sensing of animals, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm often very impressed with the lives of folks outside of this place when they give us little glimpses.

Lots of big brains around here, I've always included you in that bunch.  Your posts are informative and great at explaining things in a way that makes things click for me.  I'm pretty jealous of the folks can explain concepts around here on the fly in post form that I never can really seem to do.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com