|HOME| |DIY FAQ| |GEO FAQ| |Debugging Page| |Links| |Schematics| |Wiki| |Layouts Gallery| |STORE|
|AMPAGE| |GEOFEX| |AMZ|

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2014, 05:40:35 PM
975137 Posts in 103852 Topics by 33223 Members
Latest Member: bluesman69
Home Help Login Register
DIYstompboxes.com  |  Projects  |  Beginner Project  |  Range Control 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Range Control  (Read 2970 times)
Chris R

Range Control
« on: October 19, 2003, 02:58:16 PM »

I'm looking at Doug's Range Control... and just wanted to make sure i had it right.

So basically, off the middle lug of the original 5K pot...  i go to another 5K pot.  

This second pot has a .68 u and 1 u paralled to ground.   Both these caps could be soldered to the back of the 2nd pot.. and then grouned from there.  correct ?

Then would i connect the hot side of the original pot to the middle lug ?  correct ?

Thanks for any help.

Chris
aron
Administrator

Aron Nelson

Range Control
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2003, 11:31:32 PM »

The way it looks to me:

Take the original 47uF and substitube a .68uF  cap instead (probably film).

OK, now, from the gain pot wiper (which also connects to the .68uF cap), run a wire to a 2nd 5K pot wiper. Then take an outside lug of the 2nd 5K pot and connect the 1uF cap to that.  

Now, take the other leg of the 1uF cap and either connect that to the back of the 2nd 5K pot back, and then that to ground OR connect it directly to ground. In any case, ground it.

It sounds to me like he just replaced the 47uF cap, with a .68uF film cap and is blending in another 1uF of capacitance for a total of 1.68uF of capacitance.

Does that make sense to you?

Let me know if you have questions.
Chris R

yep
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2003, 06:34:51 AM »

yeah that makes senese.

Thanks for the clarification.

Chris
smoguzbenjamin

Ben Allen

Range Control
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2003, 07:48:45 AM »

I'm confused.... is this what you mean?

http://scorpius.spaceports.com/~ubermaus/booster.html

Sorry bout the popups, but I couldn't get the picture working on the forum. Guess I'm dumb.

I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.
Peter Snowberg
Global Moderator

Range Control
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2003, 01:59:40 PM »

I've done something very similar in tube amps for varying tone with two differences from the schematic above.

(1) I use a 22uF for the big cap (Fender value)

(2) I connect the wiper of the "range" pot to the CW end (where the emitter connects) of the "boost" pot.

It works great in that configuration. One control allows you to dial in "US" amp voicing while the other is the "UK" voicing. Some blend of the two controls has always sounded better to me than either one alone.

-Peter

Where are you? Add yourself to the DIY Map!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: