Tracing a new Fuzz Face

Started by loudnoises, January 10, 2017, 05:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loudnoises

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post or inappropriate content. I figure the reason for Dunlop's success with the Fuzz Face is not that they keep their schematics a secret, it's brand management, so posting a trace of one of their PCBs can't be too bad. Particularly when it's a circuit that has existed for over 50 years.

Anyway, I have been attempting to trace a PCB of a Jim Dunlop Fuzz Face. I photographed the top and bottom and traced the paths using GIMP, and finally modelled it using LTspice. Images can be found here.

The reason I wanted to post this was to firstly share it with the community as I thought you might find it interesting. Additionally, I wanted opinions on the validity of the trace, as it is my first time doing one. I know the Fuzz Face is typically a negative ground circuit, but I have modelled this as positive ground. The PCB doesn't actually care about the polarity as there is no power supply, just a 9V battery.

What I find interesting about the design is the use of a thermistor in between the BJTs to alter the bias point depending on temperature. This seems to be a compensation for the germanium BJTs which often perform differently depending on the temperature. The BJTs are NTE158 for the curious.