May Connecting Ground To Chasist Causing Ground Loop?

Started by Agung Kurniawan, January 15, 2017, 03:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agung Kurniawan

In stompbox, we use 2 jack which is connect to chasist, would this circumstance may provide ground loop?
Multiple gain stage followed by some active EQ is delicious.

EBK

Technically, yes.  Practically speaking, this is one of the otherwise "bad" practices you can get away with in the types of builds we deal with.  But, it is great that your are thinking about it, academically speaking.  Basically, if you are hearing noise, look somewhere else for the cause first.  Still, this is one of the design issues that drives me to do one of my overly-cautious-and-probably-unnecessary tricks on every build: I use fiber shoulder washers to isolate the input jack from the enclosure.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

stallik

Or use plastic bodied jacks. I prefer not to because I find it easier to ground the enclosure with metal ones. Perhaps I'm lazy.
Interesting avatar BTW if it signifies what I think
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

EBK

Quote from: stallik on January 15, 2017, 06:31:54 AM
Or use plastic bodied jacks. I prefer not to because I find it easier to ground the enclosure with metal ones. Perhaps I'm lazy.
Interesting avatar BTW if it signifies what I think
Are you referring to my Clippy avatar?
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

stallik

No, should have made myself clear. Clippy amuses me every time I see it. The sole of the foot was what I was referring to
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Agung Kurniawan

Quote from: stallik on January 15, 2017, 06:31:54 AM
yep, plastic body jack have a bigger outer diameter hole than the metal one.

Quote from: stallik on January 15, 2017, 06:31:54 AMInteresting avatar BTW if it signifies what I think
oh, I just have no idea about what should I do with the avatar. so then the sole foot were there
Multiple gain stage followed by some active EQ is delicious.