Any one make me a pcb for $ ?

Started by Fndr8875, January 16, 2017, 05:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fndr8875

just interested if anyone here makes pcbs for other members for $. I saw a video from the diypedals guy from australia, someone had made a single sided pcb that had the green solder masking on one side, not sure if the other side was labeled for components or if a diagram was included.

Its a EQD hummingbird tremolo, theres also a vero layout but i dont like vero. I really like this pedal so if i cant get a nice pcb ill just save up to buy it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=earthquaker+devices+hummingbird+schematic&espv=2&biw=1745&bih=873&tbm=isch&imgil=2gBq-6ebk4SF5M%253A%253BaOx4-_jJGabweM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Feffectslayouts.blogspot.com%25252F2015%25252F10%25252Fearthquaker-devices-hummingbird.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=2gBq-6ebk4SF5M%253A%252CaOx4-_jJGabweM%252C_&usg=__iDqaR7ukXChiKJcINZT-ICp7aoU%3D&dpr=1.1&ved=0ahUKEwi38bKitMbRAhVp0YMKHaK7BdwQyjcINw&ei=9pl8WLeeK-mijwSi95bgDQ#imgrc=2gBq-6ebk4SF5M%3A

that is a link to schematic.

There is a pcb online, i made 2 boards, the first one worked but i made stupid mistake and the wiring to switch was to short to stretch over pcb, wouldnt have been that big a deal but it was one of the micro spdt ones with pcb pins, i didnt wanna remove heatshrink from the pins so i unsoldered it from the board, long story short i messed it up, the second one got screwed up when i was drilling it. Ive made tonepad pedals without any issues but the layouts that idk what its called but it seems reversed, like the board is all copper except for where thre traces are, and there is very little room. Any idk why i cant get these to work, i know there isnt any solder bridges from using super bright light and shining it on component side. Any way all the chemicals and drilling and dust i just cant really do anymore in my living situation.

So if anyone would be willing to give me a qoute or message me id be very appreciative.  Thanks

merlinb

There are lots of Chinese PCB fab houses on eBay that are dirt cheap. All you need is someone to draw out the PCB design and give you the gerber files. You can then email them to whatever fab house you prefer, who will make a one-off or (more likey) a small batch of professional PCBs that you can sell on, or whatever.

It's a very simple circuit. I could draw it up in Proteus in no time.

You need to tell us what sort of enclosure, pots, switches, power connector etc that you want to use. Board mounted or just PCB pads that you can run wires to? How do you want the PCB to be mounted in the enclosure?

JustinFun

I was at a loose end in my lunch break so I've just drawn up a gerber file you could use with a fab house - you should be able to get 5 or so boards for around $5 if you shop around.

Give me a few minutes and i'll get the files up here.

Edited to add - probably more like $10 than $5 to be honest. I was being rather over optimistic.

JustinFun

Hopefully this will work. It's a straight schematic+autorouter job, I make no claims to be a PCB designer.

Schematic:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8kEUJAyrC36cFBjMlkwYWFSSmM

PCB image - should be OK for on board pots and although the image doesn't have mounting holes i realised and fixed it for the Gerber
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8kEUJAyrC36NV94X1Vlb2JYdkU

Gerber:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8kEUJAyrC36TmhZRHI5b29MU28

obviously it's unverified, so use at your own risk, etc (though if anyone sees anything glaringly awful please let me know)

JustinFun

merlinb

Could you make the traces a bit thinner? There's a world copper shoratage you know!  :icon_wink:  :icon_lol:

Seriously though, are those 8 thou? Some of the less cutting-edge fab houses may object to less than 12 thou.

JustinFun

Quote from: merlinb on January 16, 2017, 08:49:41 AM
Could you make the traces a bit thinner? There's a world copper shoratage you know!  :icon_wink:  :icon_lol:

Seriously though, are those 8 thou? Some of the less cutting-edge fab houses may object to less than 12 thou.

Fair point, it is 8 - I just ran with the autorouter default!

Is 12 a reasonable standard, or would you suggest wider?

JustinFun

FUZZZZzzzz

Isn't the EQD Hummingbird based on the origina Vox Repeater? I've build one on VERO sometime ago.. If so..
http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Repeater_-_Vox_Repeat_Percussion/p847124_12489326.aspx

This guy sells a lot of cool pcbs and not to expensive.
"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

Fndr8875

ive listened to demos of the vox repeater and i wasnt impressed, the hummingbird seemed way more versitile, ill check around youtube and give another listen, but im kinda set on the hummingbird.

Wow guys thanks for the replies, wasnt sure id even have a reply, muchless 2 ppl who had already made something up. Im just using solder lug 16 mm pots in a 1590b hammond enclosure. The pots are laid out like the earthquakerdevices , in a V shape 2 on top, one below, with switch inbetween the top two pots. I know they use 125b enclosures, thats why i opted to use the submini toggle, just need to order some of those slim davies knobs and it wouldnt be so crowded, anyway Id be happy to send the extras to you for your help. Id build the first one to verify it and if it works and your interested id send you the others. I wish i could get the hang of eagle or other cad software, but i just dont have the time or the energy at this point in my life. Hell i spend my free time building and then dont have time to play, i guess it finally got to me and i decided if i cant build it quick and clean then id just have to settle for the tremolo or whatever in the jamup app. I use it with an irig hd , i think the trem ive got is the demeter tremulator. It really is good software aslong as its through ios, i use an older iphone 5 and there is basically no latency. BUT nothing can replace the real thing. Anyway, as long as it fits in 1590b thats only requirements i have, idk how hard it would be reroute the gnd and power pads to front of the board as i have power jack side mounted, but if the file looks good to you, dont worry about it. I could go ahead and send it off.

I know oshpark has several rules that pcb has to meet, do you recommend i try them first or do you have someone else in mind?

cnspedalbuilder

I built the Vero version of the EQD Hummingbird. The real deal may be different from the Repeat Percussion, but the Vero version of the EQD circuit on Tagboard layouts is really not very different at all from the RP.

The big problem with the circuit is that it requires a 2n2646 transistor. That transistor is hard to get and it acts funny. Mine just stopped working last week (n.s. if it's a cold weather thing or it's just dead).

Depending on the layout, you may also sometimes get ticking on bypass. That happened to me for a while during the summer and then it stopped being a problem as weather got cooler!?! I've head that to get around this you have to ground the transistor separately from rest of circuit.

I'm trying to find a good alternative. This one might work:
http://www.parasitstudio.se/building-blog/green-currant-vibrato (he sells PCBs too).

Here is another:
http://moosapotamus.net/ideas/skippy-tremolo/

And this one looks awesome, but it's pricey:
http://www.musicpcb.com/pcbs/tap-tempo-tremolo
->It apparently comes with a pre-programmed micro-controller!

I tried the Tremulus Lune (see my other recent post) but it didn't quite match the choppiness of the Hummingbird.

Fndr8875

hey FuZZzz i just watched a couple more demos, and the modded vox pedals sounded pretty good, I had just heard the one with one knob, also the is a cap mod he changes, like 4.7nf to 100nf which he said gets rid of the thin sound. Thanks for the link, i dont really want to invest in another enclsoure and pots and more parts but if the pcb thing doesnt work out ill prob give that a shot.

Fndr8875

where did you get your 2n2646 from? I got mine from smallbear, I read all the post about the ticking on the tagboard site, i though that was resolved with adding another 100uf capacitor and using a 220r. That was quite a long thread but it seemed like it was resolved. My first attempt etching this one worked perfect except i botched wiring and didnt leave enough wire to mount switch, ended up screwing up pcb...but i think from looking at gut shots EQD prob has gone to 2n2647 as there is no to-18 shaped transistor that can be seen. I could swear in earlier models you see if easily and it was socketed. I was looking online lastnight and there is a t0-19 package of the 47 transistor. Sure it made sense to them being the 46 is more expensive and not all of them even work in the circuit. Id like to have the EQD, if that doesnt work out ill look into other options, im pretty set on a percussive trem, not sure if any of the ones youve suggested are. But id like to keep it as cheap as possible, so i dont think i go with something tap tempo as id def need new enclosure, the pcb, the tap temp pcb, more pots on and on. Id rather just save and get the EQD.

Anyone used a Shur Jackrabbit before? just discovered it, and its impressive, Shur makes some freakin killer enclosures, love the paint job or what, gotta check out what else they make other than the Riot.

cnspedalbuilder

FNDR: Of course it's your call. To answer your ?s:

Yes I think I got mine from SmallBear and it works. It's just a weird transistor, and I later discovered it's not well-liked on this forum  ;)

EQD probably changed because the 2n2646 is no longer in production.

All the ones I listed sound percussive in the demos, and the Moosapotamus definitely captures the RP sound.

Fndr8875

yea ive kinda got that impression from all the reading ive done on the 2n2646, when i etched it i used this

http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/search?q=hummingbird

both the bases look like they run to ground plane, i dont see it seperated anywhere. I could easily be wrong, as most of the time i am when it comes to pedals and how they work and are laid out lol...

Fndr8875

did you use a socket or just solder straight to the board CNS? I think i remember hearing that socketed might not work as well cant remember if that had to due with the ticking, but then again the gut shot from EQD i remember it was socketed.

Fndr8875

Hey Merlin what would you charge? Im kinda afraid that the autorouted one Justin posted might have issues with ticking, i have no idea though. I was reading you post on the Compressor that you worked on and i was impressed, very nice work!  only requirements id have is that it fits in 1590b and i less than half the length so it wouldnt hit the jacks i have on enclosure ive already made. LED is down to the right of the footswitch so no onboard CLR needed.

Thanks CNSbuilder and Justin for your post, let me know if you think the one you posted would run into any issues with the lfo bleeding/ ticking issues that this pedal is prone to. I had forgotten about that issue when i started this thread. If its gonna be more trouble than its worth jst let me know u guys opinion.

Thanks for all your replies so far!

cnspedalbuilder

Quote from: Fndr8875 on January 16, 2017, 02:34:22 PM
did you use a socket or just solder straight to the board CNS? I think i remember hearing that socketed might not work as well cant remember if that had to due with the ticking, but then again the gut shot from EQD i remember it was socketed.

Good point, I'm pretty sure I socketed it. Haven't had time to open it up, and in fact who knows it might be working again on its own. I'll let you know what I discover.

I've found the ticking to be inconsistent. Sometimes it's a problem, most of the time it isn't.

If I were you, I'd take a look at the Moosapotamus Skippy. He explicitly designed it with the Repeat Percussion in mind, and has a nice demo video. His PCB I think even will take the 2646 or the more modern and (allegedly) better 2N6027.
http://moosapotamus.net/ideas/skippy-tremolo/

merlinb

Quote from: Fndr8875 on January 16, 2017, 02:45:51 PM
Hey Merlin what would you charge? Im kinda afraid that the autorouted one Justin posted might have issues with ticking, i have no idea though.
I'll have a go at it tonight if I remember. So you don't need any board mounted connectors or pots? Just solder pads? How do you plan to mount the PCB in the enclosure?

cnspedalbuilder

@Fndr Looks like the Hummingbird is working again. I think it was a power supply problem, not a problem with the pedal after all.

Also, after more experimenting, the Tremulus Lune gets you in the ballpark, very close.