Anybody ever use this wire?

Started by rutabaga bob, January 17, 2017, 08:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rutabaga bob

Normally I use 22 gauge buss wire for interconnects when building, but I think it's a pain when wiring to IC sockets.  I've been thinking of going to 26 gauge, and was wondering if any one else uses a slimmer wire.
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

PRR

Billions of Wire-Wrap connections were made with #30 wire.

Nearly all of this was for "fixed install": telephone offices, mainframes, etc. I do not know how it would hold up under heavy physical abuse unless tacked-down every few inches. 
  • SUPPORTER

blackieNYC

You mean bare copper wire connectors on the solder side of perf?  I use cat5 stripped bare.  It's 26. Too small for the 24 hole on my wirestripper anyway. And, cat5 is free. Look around.
I like it. Good size, 3&4 way junctions aren't massive.  I don't use the original insulation much. I'll use Teflon sleeving if I have to jump over something.  Solid core is only weakened when repeatedly moved as I'm sure you know.  . Metal fatigue (or is that when you get a little tired of "Cookie Monster" vocals?)
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

blackieNYC

Wire-wrap! What fun. Last I saw it, it was mods done to the solder side of circuit boards in tight conditions. Had to strip it with a melty thingy. And yes, a dab of glue if it's long. 
It would be a poor choice for our work. Like soldering a hair. [Edit - Jim differs with me below, uses it currently. Either way Bob, you're life is going to get much easier. 22ga is a lot]
  • SUPPORTER
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

rutabaga bob

Thanks! 

I use tinned solid core, not bare copper.
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

EBK

Quote from: blackieNYC on January 17, 2017, 08:26:30 PM
You mean bare copper wire connectors on the solder side of perf?  I use cat5 stripped bare.  It's 26. Too small for the 24 hole on my wirestripper anyway. And, cat5 is free. Look around.
I like it. Good size, 3&4 way junctions aren't massive.  I don't use the original insulation much. I'll use Teflon sleeving if I have to jump over something.  Solid core is only weakened when repeatedly moved as I'm sure you know.  . Metal fatigue (or is that when you get a little tired of "Cookie Monster" vocals?)
Would you mind posting a picture or two of your bare cat5 results?
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

blackieNYC

I should say, I also use bent leads whenever possible. my leads outnumber my bus wire maybe 5 to one. This could never be quite as neat as those who seem to cut all leads and bus-wire all things. That's the photo you want.  I don't have a good example unboxed.
  • SUPPORTER

anotherjim

Kynar wire-wrap wire. I have a proper stripper/cutter that was made for wire-wrap work. Wonderful wire. Solders without pre-tinning, holds it's shape when you bend it and fit in the same hole as a component leg if needed. On vero or perf'd digital stuff with lots of chip to chip connections, I run it point to point on component side.
The stripper I have is ancient, but very like this in the image with a single V cutter. You just place the wire down the V and pull back to strip.
http://www.jensentools.com/ok-industries-wire-wrapping-cut-and-strip-tool/g/653
...like this...

You don't have to strip the full length from the shears of the tool -  that's the correct length for actual wrapping. I usually take about 1/8" of insulation off unless I want a long stripped length for perfboard tracks. For long strips you can pull off a couple of inches at a time -  there's too much grip to pull it all off in one go.

amptramp

CAT5 or wire wrap but for some connections, multicoloured ribbon cable can be a good idea.  If you have a board going off to a set of pots and switches, coloured ribbon cable helps you keep track of your connections.

blackieNYC

Off- board - I have a length of 24 conductor telephone cable. Each one a different color. More free stuff? If you look around. 
  • SUPPORTER

DavidRavenMoon

I use 28 gauge wire. Multi strand, tinned, and on spools.

I wouldn't use solid core. It breaks too easily. I buy my wire new, I don't bother with telephone or cat 5 cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SGD Lutherie
Hand wound pickups, and electronics.
www.sgd-lutherie.com
www.myspace.com/davidschwab