Ic sockets.. recommend good ones

Started by lapsteelman, January 19, 2017, 11:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lapsteelman

For years I had a stash of machine pin sockets (8 pin). I can't remember the brand. I picked them up surplus.  Stock was getting low, so I picked some up from Thai Shine (Tayda)... They don't hold the IC nearly as tight as the old ones... Small Bear has the Mill-Max.. are they better?

Thanks!

amptramp

I prefer the Mill-Max machined sockets.  Contact and retention are excellent.

blackieNYC

for the record, this is what you do not want - http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/assmann-wsw-components/A-08-LC-TT/AE9986-ND/821740
Folded tin bad,  you want machined gold contacts.  Here, to cast no doubt on the good people of... Assman:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/assmann-wsw-components/AR-06-HZL-01-TT/AE10021-ND/821775
+1 on Mill-max too
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

bloxstompboxes

Careful on that last link, that's a 6 pin DIP and not an 8 pin DIP like most of our ICs like opamps use.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

deadlyshart

Quote from: blackieNYC on January 19, 2017, 02:08:51 PMHere, to cast no doubt on the good people of... Assman

Ahhahahahahaha, you've gotta be kidding me, hahahahahahahahahh

Oh, lordy, that made my day. Let us never forget.

PRR

> the good people of... Assman

It's a real name of a whole family. The socket company involves several Assmans.

History

The industrial activities and company history of the ASSMANN family is already starting in the 18th century. ASSMANN & Söhne did produce at that time metal buttons for the clothing industry and as well medal decorations for the military. Later on in the 20th century ASSMANN & Söhne became famous for being one of the pioneers for heat sink technology.

Parallel to the company ASSMANN & Söhne another company named ASSMANN KG had been established in 1969 and Dieter Assmann started in this company his activities around the development and production of IC sockets and IDC connectors for flat cable applications. In the 80's Dieter Assmann combined and controlled both product ranges, the heat sink and the connectors, in the company ASSMANN GmbH, which became later the ASSMANN Electronic GmbH. During these times, another product segment has been developed, so called computer- and network peripherals. This business showed a tremendous growth under the leadership of the sons.

==========================================

FWIW, another Assman had fleeting fame:

"Dick" Assman was a Canadian gas station employee whose name propelled him to celebrity status across North America for four months in 1995.
...David Letterman, who was amused by Assman's name.... known as "Assman the Gasman".
Assman or Assmann is a German-language surname derived from the name Erasmus. Dick Assman himself, who took all this ribbing good-naturedly, pronounced his name
"oss-man", as it is pronounced in German.
  • SUPPORTER