u-boat wiring?

Started by bifbangpow, January 19, 2017, 10:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bifbangpow

I'm building the th effects versionof the U-Boat suboctave pedal, and the build instructions doesnt include wiring or even a full photo of the build.  I used this standard wiring diagram to attempt to wire it up  : http://www.madbeanpedals.com/tutorials/downloads/StandardWiring_MBP.pdf  but the project I'm building uses on board pots so I'm a little confused.  Here's the project: http://diy.thcustom.com/shop/u-boat-v1-1-pcb/

Whatever I did didn't work and I'm hoping I can get some wiring guidance.
Keep on keepn on.

blackieNYC

Maybe this will help.  I figure since you don't reference his site, maybe you don't know- the u-boat was designed, I believe, by MerlinB aka The Valve Wizard
http://valvewizard.co.uk/uboat.html
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

merlinb

bifbangpow

Quote from: merlinb on January 20, 2017, 06:05:04 AM

Yes i referenced that link in my post.  That is how I wired my pedal but it's not working.
Keep on keepn on.

bifbangpow

Quote from: blackieNYC on January 20, 2017, 12:15:28 AM
Maybe this will help.  I figure since you don't reference his site, maybe you don't know- the u-boat was designed, I believe, by MerlinB aka The Valve Wizard
http://valvewizard.co.uk/uboat.html

Yes but I used the printed circuit board from TH Effects in Germany, and their layour is a little different.  Slightly different components too.
Keep on keepn on.

merlinb

Quote from: bifbangpow on January 20, 2017, 01:27:42 PM
That is how I wired my pedal but it's not working.
Then you have made a mistake. Look carefully.

vigilante397

I've built a few U-Boats (incredible circuit Merlin, big fan of your work) using the TH Custom board and used the wiring Merlin posted. I can confirm that's how it's supposed to be. If you have it wired like that and it still isn't working that's when we would start asking for pictures of your board and voltages on IC pins.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

bifbangpow

Quote from: vigilante397 on January 20, 2017, 08:51:32 PM
I've built a few U-Boats (incredible circuit Merlin, big fan of your work) using the TH Custom board and used the wiring Merlin posted. I can confirm that's how it's supposed to be. If you have it wired like that and it still isn't working that's when we would start asking for pictures of your board and voltages on IC pins.

Ugh. It's been awhile since I couldnt find the problem on a circuit.  Just need someone elses eye on this thing.  Heres a photo:

and

hope that helps. 
Keep on keepn on.

thermionix

What's it doing/not doing?

bifbangpow

Quote from: thermionix on January 21, 2017, 04:58:51 PM
What's it doing/not doing?

No sound clean or otherwise.  The led lights up briefly when i push the stomp switch but only if I hold the stomp switch down.  The second my foot is off the stomp switch the led stops working  So I think there must be a short somewhere.
Keep on keepn on.

thermionix

That sounds more like a bad switch.  Yours looks okay, not melted from overheating, but have you checked it with a continuity tester?

Cozybuilder

BBP- I don't see any wiring errors, the diodes, electros and chips look like they're oriented properly- I agree with thermionix that it sounds like a bad switch.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

bifbangpow

Quote from: thermionix on January 21, 2017, 05:41:32 PM
That sounds more like a bad switch.  Yours looks okay, not melted from overheating, but have you checked it with a continuity tester?

You guys were right. It was a bad switch.  Switched it out and now I at least get clean sound.  No Effect yet but thats probably just a cold joint.
Keep on keepn on.

bifbangpow

If Im getting clean sound but nothing when the effect is on, is there a particular wire I should check the joints on?  I'm having trouble finding it.
Keep on keepn on.

Cozybuilder

You should double check that the PCB is not shorting out on the pot bodies first- were the component leads trimmed short on the solder side? It looks like your soldering skills are good, so eliminate the easy stuff first.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

thermionix

Quote from: bifbangpow on January 21, 2017, 08:18:50 PM
If Im getting clean sound but nothing when the effect is on, is there a particular wire I should check the joints on?  I'm having trouble finding it.

You get 'clean' as in bypass, then no sound when you hit the switch?

Power?  LED lighting up?

bifbangpow

Quote from: Cozybuilder on January 21, 2017, 08:58:18 PM
You should double check that the PCB is not shorting out on the pot bodies first- were the component leads trimmed short on the solder side? It looks like your soldering skills are good, so eliminate the easy stuff first.

Yeah I've got small peices of foam tape between the pots and the board.
and thanks for saying my soldering skills are good heh
Keep on keepn on.

bifbangpow

Quote from: thermionix on January 21, 2017, 09:45:46 PM

You get 'clean' as in bypass, then no sound when you hit the switch?

Power?  LED lighting up?

Yes. LED and power is good.
Keep on keepn on.

bluebunny

1. Audio probe.
2. Debugging thread.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

jimilee

Quote from: bluebunny on January 22, 2017, 10:57:25 AM
1. Audio probe.
2. Debugging thread.
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk