Re: Enclosure Design

Started by k3yPr0gg3r, January 19, 2017, 11:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

k3yPr0gg3r

Hi,

I've been building pedals since July, and I've been using "slide decal" paper for my enclosure designs. It works fine as long as I'm using a white background. This means having to tape off the top of the enclosure after priming, painting, and then applying the decal to the unpainted top. Depending on the color scheme it can become washed out. I read on another forum that some of you have had luck with other types of paper. I use an inkjet printer, but I'd like my designs to "pop" a bit more. I tried using heat transfer paper, but could never get it separated from the backing with ruining the design. Looking for transparent backing as well. Any ideas would be GREAT!!

Thank you

deadlyshart

Hey, by 'slide decal', you mean the "water slide" method one?

Anyway, I haven't done that, but I've used this sticker paper, that pops pretty decently if your background paint color is light enough. Still, I'm not sure what yours looks like, so it's possible it's very similar.

However, the real way to get excellent designs is by enclosure etching/painting/sanding, etc. Have you considered that? It's a bit more complicated but IMO the results are way better.

k3yPr0gg3r

Yes... I use the "water-slide" paper. It's hit or miss with that stuff. I've had to waste a sheet or two because the ink wasn't applying properly, and the design looked like crap. Do you remember the brand of sticker paper you used?

Thanks for the reply!!

deadlyshart

Quote from: k3yPr0gg3r on January 20, 2017, 04:15:18 PM
Yes... I use the "water-slide" paper. It's hit or miss with that stuff. I've had to waste a sheet or two because the ink wasn't applying properly, and the design looked like crap. Do you remember the brand of sticker paper you used?

Thanks for the reply!!

Hey, I followed this video exactly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkvizYfDkxw&t=537s

(it has the paper at that time)

It worked fine, looks good, but I dunno how much better than your current thing. Have you looked into etching?

k3yPr0gg3r

GREAT VIDEO!!! Thank you. I think this will be a better alternative for me. The sheet seems to hold the ink better with NO smudge spots! As for etching, I don't really have the tools or the artistic ability for that. Thank you anyway for the suggestion! Best continued luck with your builds, and thanks again for this option for my designs...

Arcane Analog