'Splended Stripboard' - anyone use it?

Started by patrick398, January 23, 2017, 06:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patrick398

(This is not an ad, i'm just gushing haha ;D)
Just finished a build using 'splended stripboard' from here: http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Splended_Stripboard/p847124_12489373.aspx
It's so easy to work with, i love this stuff. Does it go under some other name? I can't seem to find anything similar anywhere else. Just wondering if anybody else uses it? Can't see why i'd go back to stripboard now...just need it in larger sizes!

preciousmolina666

didnt try it ye but for me its easy to do the dots board only. easy to connect, can build smaller project and much easy to troubleshoot
I hate noise...

patrick398

I think you're referring to perf board (though i may be wrong!) which i haven't tried using yet. I am curious though, just don't like the idea of having to run wires between all the components. I'm clumsy, impatient, and drink too much coffee before soldering so i don't think it's really up my alley haha

Jdansti

This looks like it would be a great alternative to the traditional Vero-style strip boards.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

cnspedalbuilder

I think this is different from perfboard--it's like vero but with a thin line connecting the holes.

Is this avaiable in the US?

patrick398

Quote from: cnspedalbuilder on January 23, 2017, 10:15:11 PM
I think this is different from perfboard--it's like vero but with a thin line connecting the holes.

Is this avaiable in the US?

Yeah that's correct, it's the ease of soldering on to PCB but the layout of vero. Best of both worlds! I can't seem to find anything similar online, spend all night looking and nada! This seems like too good an idea not to have been done before haha

antonis

With a quick eye catch, the lines width is less than 0.230 mm, which shouldn't be OK with relative high currents..

Also, the lines are on top of board under the hard laquer film and shouldn't be so easy to "cut and lift away"..
(I shouldn't trust a simple narrow cut in this case because it simply detaches line's continuity without subtracting copper material - so it's easy to accidentally "recover" continuity by just finger pressing..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Ruptor

It is good for making smaller boards because you don't have to give up a hole on a break but I prefer veroboard because it is always the cuts I forget to make that is causing the problem so having them on holes helps me see them and makes it easier to check. The board I like the most is the veroboard with cuts every three holes so they are like islands for three connections. The cuts are already there and having breaks as faults is easier to fault find giving less blow ups because breaks don't short things out. :)

merlinb

This prototyping PCB looks home-designed to me. If you lay out such a PCB yourself (or get someone to do it for you) then you can order as many as you want from a cheap Chinese PCB fab house.

patrick398

I cut tracks in the same way i would using veroboard; i.e using a small drill bit to drill through and break the connection so in that sense it's also just as easy. I've e-mailed the website to ask if it was something they designed themselves and had made or whether they buy it in from somewhere. It would be great to get bigger boards of this. I also suggest that, if it was something they designed themselves, it could be a good idea to have the holes directly below each pot mount hole (the top and bottom rows) electrically connected to the pot mount holes rather than connected to each other all along the track. That way you could mount the pots to the top and or bottom rows and simply use jumper wires to connect from the circuit to the corresponding hole below (no need to try and stuff wires and lugs into a single hole...i have no idea if that made sense :P